Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy8s_gw

mother leaf

crazy8s
10 years ago

I'm doing a little experiment. I already separated babies from the
mother leaf and planted them. The mother leaf has very healthy roots and lots of roots on the stem.
So I decided to replant the mother leaf and see if more babies would come up.
Has anyone done this, and what were your outcome?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Dear Crazy,
    Replanting the mother leaf a second time is a common practice. I usually get about a 25% loss the second time around. In my experience, the leaves I lose are the ones that are left with no roots after taking the babies from them. There's a lot of energy expenditure in growing babies. I think they are just too tired/old to re-root and grow more babies. Good luck!
    Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

C. - if you for whatever reason need 30 plants of the same variety - go for it. You can do what Linda does, or you can remove the larger babies and let the rest of them catch up - and a strong leaf will be producing and producing them. I usually pop the root ball up, get 2-3 larger babies off, add fresh soil on the bottom - and pop it back in.

Linda - if you separated the roots from the leaf - you need to recut the leaf and root it up again. May be then less of them will be lost.

If you really want LOTS of them - get the babies in - and and as soon it will be a time to remove the lower baby leaves - put them down too - they root fast.

I.

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I have done this several times with great results. I use fresh soil mix for re-doing the mother leaf.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Just curious - we are all hobbyists - so why do you guys need so many plants of the same variety?

Overwhelmed - way too many plants...

I,

• crazy8s
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm doing just for fun to see what happens. I didn't know re planting the mother leaf was a common practice. Anyone want any babies? LOL. just kidding.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Irina,

Because I'm a softie and I can't bear to throw a plant out that is well and thriving. Want to trade??? :)

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Linda-

there is just so much space on the light shelves. I DO NOT NEED ONE MORE THING!

The way how it is going - you will be in the same position quite soon!

Come to my house with a suitcase!

Irina

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I admit it. I have a problem. But it keeps me off the streets...;)

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

In my case, I was new to all this propagating and so part of it was just to see what would happen. I also was worried that maybe some of them wouldn't make it, so the more chances the better, lol. I made it through the stage of not being able to throw any leaf away, so now I don't keep everything, but still, I am overwhelmed.
    I went from five NOIDs to about 100 named varieties since last Aug. I am in the process of eliminating now. I am also giving duplicates away. This hobby definitely has a way of mushrooming quickly. My plan is to give away the varieties I have that look very similar to others. Why have five or six types that look almost the same? Also, ones that just don't bloom or are difficult are going. I also learned a lot since starting this adventure, and I have come to the conclusion I am not that crazy about miniatures, so will give those away. I do like semi-minis and have some keepers of those. I like standards the best, so that is another reason I don't have enough room for everything I have!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I don't know if I'll ever get through the stage of not wanting to throw out viable plants; I've been growing AV's for forty-one years now so it seems unlikely. I, too, like the standards. I guess I like big and impressive and the minis and semis just don't do it for me. Nor trailers. The ones I'd like to get rid of are the ones that grow like a lump of cabbage. I have one on my shelf, (can't remember the name; I've blocked it out!), that is the goofiest looking violet I've ever seen. But..It blooms and blooms and is quite healthy,so... :)
    Linda

• terrilou
    10 years ago

Put me on the list as one who has rerooted a mother leaf. In fact, I have two now that are on their third rooting. Crazy huh! I don't like to throw out healthy plants either, so will be looking for homes for some of my extras. I'm also in the standard loving corner so I really have to watch how many plants I add to my limited space.

Terri

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Terri,

I'm up for a trade if you are. And I'm in Ohio so there will be minimal shock from mailing. Let me know. ;)

Linda

• terrilou
    10 years ago

Linda,

A trade sounds interesting. Please send me an email. . . I can't seem to contact you.

Terri

• terrilou
    10 years ago

This is for Linda,

Your Gardenweb settings prevent me from responding to your email. If you'd like, you could send me another note and enclose your email address.

Terri

• kittyhawkjd
    10 years ago

HI
    I separated the baby plant from the mother plant. I didnt get the roots. Should I just put the baby in the african soil or do I have to root it in water? Thankyou

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Kitty -

put it in humid AV soil - (remember - the AV soil they sell in a store is way too heavy and needs to be lightened up with 1/3 of perlite - plus the pot for your new baby should be very small Solo cup or about) - and cover with a baggie - or put it in a transparent box out of direct light. I promise - in 2 weeks it will be well rooted.

Irina