Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondiejan

Silverglade Meadows

blondiejan
9 years ago

Blooms are very large....2 inches across!

Comments (9)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, This is very pretty and unusual. I have been interested in this one. Does the foliage also grow large? Does it grow symmetrically? Thanks for posting.
    Joanne

• blondiejan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it is a standard plant. This is the first one I grew from a leaf that I got last fall. The foliage grows downward, and is pretty symmetrical. All my other plants have upright foliage, so this was a change for me. I love the blooms, and it blooms very freely, and the blossoms last a long time. They take awhile to open though....

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

It is stunning. Do the blooms last a long time? Some of my plants grow downward. I like when they do, they take up less space. I will have to try that one, perhaps next year.
    Joanne

• blondiejan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the blossoms last a long time....a couple of weeks so far......just a beautiful variety, I think!

• blondiejan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the blossoms last a long time....a couple of weeks so far......just a beautiful variety, I think! I almost gave it the toss when it was young and before blooming because of the way the leaves grew downward...

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

I know what you mean, some people don't like the look of leaves growing downward, but I seem to like a lot of things that other people don't! I love the draped look of leaves growing downward. Would you post a photo taken from a greater distance so I can see what the foliage looks like?
    Do you have experience with any other Silverglades that you would recommend?
    Joanne

• blondiejan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the photo of Silverglades Meadows with the downward growing leaves. This is the only Silverglades that I have ever had. I am getting used to it....especially since it has such nice blooms!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

That is beautiful! Is this a standard? I saw a photo of Silverglade Puffs in the July 2011 AVSA magazine. It is a mini. It was photographed from above, so it is not possible to tell how the foliage grew. Also, it was grown under lights.

I believe I read that foliage growing downward has to do with the amount of light a plant gets. If a plant gets lots of light, the foliage grows downward.

All of mine are grown in natural light. The plants in a room where they get the most light for the longest time periods have downward growing foliage.

Others of the same variety in a room with less light grow straight out. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, May 28, 14 at 10:20

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Do all SilverGlades do that?
    I have a very small SilverGlade Moons, hardly more than a few leaves. I was worried about the leaves growing down because the plant next to Moons is growing normally, flat, not up or down.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living