Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AV's in Clay Pots

Posted by ant_hubb256 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 21:20

Just a question about growing African Violets in clay pots. Do or Don't? Any info would be helpful. I have 3 AV's in clay pots now should i go back to plastic pots or will they do just as good in clay? they have been in the clay pots for a few weeks and look fine 2 are even starting to bloom again. If its any help i have them under Grow lights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AV's in Clay Pots

Ant -

I prefer them in plastic for several reasons- too heavy, hard to clean, dry too fast, but the main issue is that the fertilizer salts get absorbed by the porous clay, they migrate to the rim of the pot - and burn the leaf stalks that touch them.
You can get around this problem by dipping the rim into melted candle wax or wrapping the edge with a strip of foil.

WHat I will do - i will try to find the plastic pots as close as possible to the clay ones - and try to move the plants to plastic without disturbing the roots too much.

If you just like clay - you can use them as cachepots for display purposes.

Good Lick

Irina

o

Thanks Irina! Im fairly new at growing AV's but have lots of experience with other houseplants. I can tell i'm already becoming addicted to African Violets. I still have the 4" plastic pots they came in would those work or should i move on to something better?

o

ant,
I'm not Irina but I wanted to welcome you to the forum board.

We recommend a general rule of thumb regarding pot size. The size of the pot should be no more than 1/3 the width of the plant itself. A 4 inch pot would be suitable for a 12 inch plant.

Most AVs will go in either a solo cup size pot or a 2 to 3 inch pot. When their roots are "hugged" with the correct size pot, they will thrive and give you lots of pleasure :)

Glad to have you here and hope you'll stick around,
Dora

o

Hear, hear!

Irina

o

Thank You both. I have been reading around on the forum for a few weeks, and decided to was time to join. I'm glad I did! Everyone on here seems to be very intelligent when it comes to African Violets! I repoted last night and they already look better than they did before, and thats saying alot because I thought they looked pretty good before!It seems they perked up or something just overnight. Once again Thank You for your help!

o

When you say "solo cups" do you actually use the waxy paper cups? or are you just referring to that size and still use plastic pots?
Julie

o

Julie,
I'm referring to the 3 oz solo cups that are plastic (not wax/paper).

Here's an example of what one looks like while being set up for wick watering:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

and here is the brand that I use. I buy mine from Kroger.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Most AV growers who use this kind of cup/pot will use a saudering iron to burn holes into the bottom and side for ventilation. I've heard of some using a drill but that was too challenging for me and went back to the melting.

Ask away if you have more questions,
Dora

o

Plastic Solo cups, not paper..

o
RE: AV's in Clay Pots 1

Oh Good Lord!
I didn't know that picture was going to be that big.
:/

o
RE: AVs in Clay Pots

LOL
The burning plastic fumes have altered your sense of size :-)

o

AM,
Shut up!

LOL

Dora

o

<3 <3 <3 looooove yooooou!

o

Love you both - smooch!

I am drilling - stack 6 pots together - and run 2 holes with a drill. Hate the stench - plus my last saudering iron gave the ghost.

irina

o

Love you too, Irina!! <3

I use my Dremel... But then again I am a tool freak :-)
Melting plastic is really not good for you (the fumes).
If you do it that way, PLEASE at least do it in a well-ventilated area.

o

I've tried the drill/dremel and can't get my groove with that way.
when I melt, I do it on my stove underneath my exhaust fan....which btw, would suck your pants off if they weren't buttoned.....I'm not saying I don't get fumes but I can see the smoke sucking right up thru that exhaust fan.

I also like 2 holes on the outside of my cups and in the same place on each cup so stacking and doing more than one at a time doesn't work well for that.

Dora

o

Dora - you are one controlling lady! I bet everything in your house and home is super orderly, all containers in a fridge have dates on them and all the grass is brushed southward ;-)).

I also do 2 holes - but of course with a drill they are all over the place.

Last time I used a soldering iron on these Solos - I was coughing and heaving. yuck.

i.

o

@ Irina.... LOL
Not quite :)
The grass is brushed to the north. :P

Interestingly enough, I am *always on the lookout for a way to do something better, easier, etc but if it doesn't pan out, I know what to go back to. I was afraid I would hurt myself (or my procelain stove top) with that drill and the dust made me cough.

I am kind of anal about many things and being super organized provides a tremendous sense of mental comfort to me. I used to see it as a character fault but learned to see it as a gift :)

And don't worry, I took it in the spirit intended :)

I remember when I first came here 2+ years ago, I was so convinced that the way that I had been taught was THE way to do it...and I began to learn from all of you....and I learned that the person who taught me not only didn't know everything....but that they didn't know much at all and I began to grow and experience a greater quality to my plants, blooms and overall violet experience. As great as that was, it couldn't touch the people that I've met :)

When we know better, we do better. We're either green and growing or ripe and rotten. I know what I want to be :)

Dora

o

Dora -

that's why we are ever green and young. We always learn.

You should be glad you are not married to somebody like my DH. I need to keep an eye on him otherwise he will nail something that should be screwed, paint in his best outfit and step on my plants outside because he is walking across my flowerbed. Otherwise he is a total gem.

Cheers

irina

o

Don't be sure that I don't.....

where do you think my thrips probabaly come from?

He accidentally sprayed too close to my Oakleaf Hydrangea that I looked for for over 2 years and babied before I finally put it in the ground @@.
Don't even get me started.........

Dora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here