Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutterbutter_gw

Will a 27 watt desk light work for African Violets?

nutterbutter
14 years ago

I work in a cube farm and get no natural light, but I want AV's at my desk. I found a lamp at my hardware store very similar to this one, but it's only $20.00:

http://www.amazon.com/Grandrich-ES-201-BUR-Burlwood-Spectrum/dp/B001R4CDPI/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1242954662&sr=1-12

It seems like similar lights marketed for plants only use a 9W full-spectrum light. I'm guessing I'd just need to adjust the distance between the plant and the light...does that sound right?

Also, I'm planning to probably have minis/semiminis.

Comments (10)

• larry_b
    14 years ago

I can't tell if that is an incandescent for fluorescent bulb. If it is fluorescent then I don't see why it would not work. You will have to have the bulb a little closer to the plant. Know that minis and semiminis need more light than standards though. There is a distance where even a fluorescent light starts to become hot.

I hope this helps.

Larry

• nutterbutter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your response, Larry. The one at my hardware store is a compact fluorescent.

Thanks again.

• phoebesviolets
    14 years ago

I can tell you from experience they work very well!

• kyoto7
    13 years ago

That's right..they can work pretty well, but it is better to use LED model (more efficient)

Here is a link that might be useful: LED lamp

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Kyoto -

you need around 600 candles per foot light intensity on a level of plant leaves to make it bloom 10 months out of the year. The only way to check it - is to use the light meter if you have one. We tried 27wt corkscrew fluorescent in our club - and it only provided 150 c/f. Which means the violet will bloom very rarely. Any ambient light will be appreciated - from a fluorescent fixture above or window.

My guess'd be that LED is a bit low too. But to be sure - we need to measure it.
    Good Luck and lets bring green in our cubicles.

Irina

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I have one 30W CFL in my desk lamp, and it was lighting 11 AVs, and they were all blooming. It was a mix of minis, semiminis and standards. I just thinned it down to 7 yesterday (moved the others to different locations). It gets a tiny bit of overspill from an 85W to the left (angle is wrong, and the reflector is pointing most of the light down into my terrarium), but really, that 30W is pretty much the light that they get. The lamp is about 8 or 9 inches above the leaves. I think I have the light on for 12 or 13 hrs.

My lamp is your standard desk lamp with the angular adjustable arm. I wish it had a wider dome/reflector, but it got appropriated to light my AVs. It was originally supposed to actually be my desk lamp : )

• Leon Ash
    8 years ago

There are LED bulbs for sale marked "daylight" that are rated 4500k-6000K. These will fit into any lamp.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Leon

- you are answering the question that is 7 years old...at that time ... they didn't have as many choices as we do now... At least something good happens with time, not only arthritis and wrinkles...

• Leon Ash
    8 years ago

Yes, I know that the question was old. However, I've seen many posts made now that insist on using fluorescent bulbs. My point is than the modern LED bulbs, which fit most lamps in our homes will also do it.

As for wrinkles, at my age they no longer matter.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

I deny having any wrinkles except the one I am sitting on. And I will keep denying.

Anyway - the use of a table lamp only permits 1 plant under it - may be 3 minis - doesn't matter it is LED or CFL. The point source of light has a small area where the intensity is right - and then it dissipates. For any kind of collection - you need tubes doesn't matter - fluorescent or LEDs - that create a good evenly lighted surface.