Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Violet Setup

Posted by bayard zone 6 / NJ (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 21:41

Plants are under six 40 watt T-12 fixtures with one grolux wide spectrum type and one 5000K tube in each fixture at 36 inches above the plant tops. They are in either Oyama pots or Swift Moistrite planters in 1/2 Promix and 1/2 perlite.

Decided I had better post before the heat comes on and they melt!

photo IMG_1480_zps4925c03c.jpg

photo IMG_1481_zpsf331ab16.jpg

photo IMG_1493_zpsc6623872.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Violet Setup

Beautiful!

o

Most people have their lights closer to plant tops, but whatever works works and your setup is obviously working well. Very beautiful!

Switching the black tarp for white might help your AVs keep their cool in summer temps.

o

Could you post picture of your lights? How many hours are they on? That looks so pretty. Lovely plants.

o

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

o

AWESOME!

o

• Posted by bayard zone 6 / NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 17:40

Thanks for your comments!

WendyCoo - Lights are on for 10 hours. Here is the setup:

photo IMG_1497_zpsc5f2221a.jpg

photo IMG_1494_zps397e2f02.jpg

o

Wow that is nice as you get to see and really enjoy all the violets as well as if they were on a window sill. Thank you for sharing.

o

Your table is so neat, clean & beautiful. Do you find a difference in results between the Oyamas and the Moistrites? Does one edge out the other? Or have you found no appreciable difference between the two?

o

Sun, May 26, 13 at 13:01

Ellie -

I like the Moist-rites because they take a long time between refills. They also keep the mix less moist than the Oyamas. I prefer to put all of my plants in them once they reach a good size.

Bayard

o

Thanks

o

Wow what beautiful plants and a lovely way to enjoy them all! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm completely new to the world of AVs and love my one little unnamed plant haha

Happy Gardening!
Janet

o

Hi Bayard,
Very very nice! I've seen your previous post which had a photo of your lamps. Could you, please, add this photo to this post? I want to look closely.
Thanks,
Polina.

o

Bayard,
I want to show your plants on the Russian African Violets web sites fialki.ru and fialki.su because it's very nice an interesting. It's not commercial, just forum like this. If you don't mind maybe you can send me your pictures to my personal e-mail address, please. Let me know.
Thanks,
Polina..

o

Beautiful setup and gorgeous violets. I love your setup. What are you feeding them, and how much, how often to get them all blooming at the same time. Do you have others that are not blooming? Is this just your 'show off' shelf. It's quite awesome. I wish mine would start to bloom. I think it's time jto re-pot and give them a boost. LOL

o

Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 22:22

Polina - Please click on my name or go to my page to send me an email.

Ima_digger - I don't feed anything special, just 1/4 tsp per gallon of whatever is on hand. You can see some of the non-flowering plants in the photo above to the right, so not all bloom at the same time!

o

They are all beautiful. Where did you get the red bloomer ? I dont recall having ever seen one.

o

There are lots of red blooming violets-Pow Wow, Plenty of Pepper, Golden Rubies to name just a few.

Linda

o

Thank you for the names. I am now in search of them. ; )

o

There's lots more! I especially like Golden Rubies-red with a 'golden' edge. So pretty! Have fun searching!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here