Houzz Logo Print
lucky123_gw

QuiMoi Question

lucky123
9 years ago

I know it has been asked and answered many times but here goes

Diana
6 weeks ago
I put AV soil and perlite in a plastic pot, stuck a leaf in the pot as per your instructions.
I put the pot in a plastic bag and sealed the bag.

Yesterday MOUSE EAR
Now the question is, the condition in which the "mouse ear" emerged are not plant conditions.

The inside of the bag is more humid that I think a small plant would like. Should I leave the "mother leaf/mouse ear" in the baggy and for how long?

Should I start drying it out or just let it sit and grow more "mouse ears" inside the baggy or should I put the "mother leaf/mouse ear pot" in normal plant conditions while it grows more mouse ears?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Lucky,

Gradually acclimate your babies to their future growing conditions by opening the bag bit by bit over about a week or so. You can then remove them from the bag to their growing spot.

I would wait until your ears are about 1/2" in width but that is a very general size. You just don't want to start when they are teeny-tiny.

The process of acclimating plants to their final growing spot is called 'hardening-off'.

Linda

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Lucky,

Linda has answered quite well. I, personally, don't use potting mix at all to set leaves. I use a mix of perlite and vermiculite. This is just what I use.

I don't usually seal my baggies, I like the old-syle foldover sandwich bags; however, sometimes I use the ziplock ones and they can do fine in there for quite awhile. However, if it looks too wet, for goodness sake, open the bag :)

Congratulations on the babies. I'm tickled that I have tiny Chantasprings in a sealed baggie right now.

• Vikki
    9 years ago

6 weeks is fast for mouse ears :)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, very fast.

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, 6 weeks
    I opened the bag and it is definitely a Mouse Ear

However it is in severe danger from the two legged pest who wants to check its progress every hour or so.

For this one, after reading the suggestions, I am going to leave it alone for a while. The baggie is not that wet and the soil feels just right.

"Oh, I'm pacing the floor over you" (croons to little mouse ear)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Chantaspring was put down on 4/30 so it got its teensy bits of green a little short of 6 weeks (I hadn't checked).

However, nothing else from that order has done a blessed thing and I have a good many other ones that I'm starting to poke at :)

Diana

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diana
    I have a leaf I put in a pot a week earlier and it doesn't even have any bits of perlite I could mistake for progress.
    AV's are so strange. But if I can get one, maybe I can get more.
    My First Mouse Ear! Which probably won't survive my poking, prodding and looking but at least, by George, I did it.
    I used AV soil and perlite because I didn't have vermiculite but it seems to work well if it is mostly perlite.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

LOL! Leave the poor thing alone. Its not going to suddenly have a growth spurt just because you can see it. I would just do the same thing you have been doing for a little while longer. Then when it gets a little bigger, you can worry about hardening it off.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Next to over-watering, too much 'love, help and/or curiosity' is the number one killer of plants! Leave that leaf alone! ;)

As an aside-my quickest time for babies, (big enough to divide), is 2 weeks. I was going to Italy so I was giving my plants a last once-over. I accidentally knocked a leaf from 'Arabian Night' and just stuck it in some soil. When I came back, two weeks later, there were babies. Big babies!

I have since learned that I can put a leaf of AN on the driveway, come back in three days and there will be babies. I wish they were all that easy!

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 23:44