Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_ford9412500

Senk fan's anyone!?!?!

Kat Ford
16 years ago

I found a thread about David Senks plants but it was from 05 so I thought I would start a new one. I currently have a total of about 60 varieties or more of AV's and 12 of them are senks, and I'm obssessed wanted to see if there are any others around here that are crazy as I am about Senk????

Kat

Comments (29)

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

Kat,
    I only have four african violets, but I'm not sure what Senk is. Could you please tell me?

Elizabeth

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Elizabeth,

Senk is a hybridizer specializing in so called wasp type violets. There is a wonderful article about him and his hybrids on the Violet Voice chat.

TGIF

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Voice - article about David Senk

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

Irina,
    First, TGIF as well. =:o) Thank you for that informative article. I had no idea there was such a type of african violet. Just when I thought I somewhat had a grasp of plants, I learn that there are over 200 species of sanserveria and today I learn there are some pretty strange african violets. I think that cascade is by far the most interesting av on that page... I would be afraid to have one of those, I couldn't say if it was dead or thriving (well, with the exception of some flowers). I sure don't have any senks nor have I ever seen one in real life (that I'm aware of), but they sure look interesting.

Elizabeth

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Elizabeth

I do not grow Senk violets as well. I had a wasp violet Blue Fly Wasp, it grew as a beanstalk for me with a long stem covered by unruly bustle foliage - you can look it up - but basically - one main leaf and 2 side leaflets - and it was exotic, it bloomed like crazy but was not really attractive to me. So I gave it away. It is either love - or whatever. For me it was whatever.

Irina

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi Kat,
    You either love or haate David Senk's hybrids. I have a friend who has quite a few of his oddities. Some are nice but most (to say the least) strange. I like wasp blooming plants but only have one or two. I would much rather concentrate on better growing hybrids and some of the species. I will say I have one plant that was hybridized by George McDonald who I believe used a Senk plant as one of the parents. It's new and to my knowledge has not been registered. It's a semimini with variegated longifolia foliage and has a violet bell blossom. My plant is just starting to bloom and I have to find out from George if he intends to register it.
    Fred in NJ

• Mayflyon
    16 years ago

Ha ha Senk's are great-- I just can't afford them! LOL
    Hugs, Debbie

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

Irina,
    ROFL!

Elizabeth

• pixiesue
    16 years ago

I too have an unhealthy obession for Senk's. They are odd and that is ok by me. I can't say how many I have. One (my husband) would say way too many, myself not enough. LOL I am trying to find a list of his plants and that is very hard. Have fun with your obession.LOL
    Sue in PA

• lilypad22
    16 years ago

I found out about them last year and tried to get a few. They were a little expensive, so I didn't get too many. I hoped to trade them for other Senks. I just don't like all my plants to look the same, so the Senk are different like that. Mostly I had leaves last year and can't wait for them to be blooming size! It's also hard to find pictures of them in bloom and descriptions. Maybe we Senk growers could trade leaves? tish

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Hey, Korina, I was beginning to get worried about you since you hadn't jumped all over this posting. Glad you're still around...

Barbara

• korina
    16 years ago

Hey, Barbara. I'm a little slower these days, but I get there eventually. I still have dreams of owning a complete Senk collection. Some day...

Korina

• Kat Ford
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Korina you actually have all of those!??!?! I'm jealous! I just got 5 more varieties which brought me u p to 12 I believe and a few more leaves. I am bidding on a few more! If you have all of those and want to trade I have alot more than just senk, and would love to trade or purchase some from you!

Kat

Oh sorry it took me so long to answer I didn't get notifications of replies!

• korina
    16 years ago

Oh no no no. That list is for the varieties I *know of*. I had three, but they were victims of the massacre.

Korina, having a grumpy Monday

• pixiesue
    16 years ago

Korina, I have been waiting for you to email me back. Last time I talked with you,you still had frost on the ground. I am heading to Alaska for vacation on July 11. Please get back to me about the leaves if you still want them. I emailed you thru this site but I haven't gotten an answer. I don't want you to have a grumpy Monday. As for owning a complete senk collection, I am still trying. I am having a hard time finding his olders ones like Wild Thang, Make Believe and Pastel Bells. One day. LOL
    Sue

• korina
    16 years ago

You know, there is a seller on eBay, saintpaulias4you, who seems to have an inside track on his varieties; it's two guys who evidently are friends of his or something. I check eBay every once in a while just to see if they have anything new.

Korina

'I'm not nervous, just -- poised for action, that's all.' ~Vila Restal

• korina
    16 years ago

Whoops. It's 'saintpaulias4u'.

Korina, a bit s-l-o-w

• roseof65
    16 years ago

I only have one Senk's plant, and it's name is Long Legs! It's supposed to be a trailer but I grow it as a single crowned plant and it is quite attractive and symmetrical! It has longifolia that is really, really long. It's a semi mini so it isn't large and it's a double wasp purple bloom, and the blooms are quite large for the size of the plant/leaves. It happens to be in full bloom right now and I love it because it is unique and pretty too! I don't like any that are unique but not pretty, which I think is true of some of the very odd ones. However, I am all for variety and Senk will give you that!

• kristalym
    16 years ago

I only have senk's AV name Vespa Verde. I have interesting at Alchemy Morning Star. Could somebody tell me where can I find? Thanks !

• korina
    16 years ago

Kristalym, there are a couple of suppliers that sell a couple of varieties, but your best chance is eBay. There are some reputable sellers there who can get you what you want, such as the aforementioned 'saintpaulias4u'.

Otherwise check out your local AV club (I believe there are some in Hong Kong).

Good luck.

Korina

• seattlemarigene
    16 years ago

you guys are killin me!I bid and won yellow starfish and fantasy wasp & Drucilla...does any one have pictures of these or any of his other varieties....marigene

• truske
    15 years ago

Where is a good place to purchase them? I can't find one
    Barbie

• korina
    15 years ago

Barbie, about the only place to find Senk AVs is on eBay. Sad, but true.

Korina, long lost poster

• patty_mae
    9 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping some of you are still around. I'm looking for a few Senk's to complete my collection, if anyone knows where I can get
    Senk's Balloons
    Senk's Elm
    Senk's Girl Wasp
    Senk's Girl With Attitude
    Senk's Make Believe
    Senk's Springtime Wasp
    I was also wondering if the list above is complete or has been corrected or anything. I've never heard of Daddy Longlegs or the 4 un-named crosses.

Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

There's a Senk's Longlegs on First Class.

Linda

• bttrflii
    9 years ago

patty - don't forget that i picked up senk's elm for our upcoming trade.

• patty_mae
    9 years ago

There's an eBay auction for "Senk's DFO 401" which after some research I found is actually Senk's Azalea Trail. Daddy Longlegs sometimes goes up for auction and is registered as Senk's Longlegs. Here's where I read the info: http://www.floraforum.eu/floraforum/index.php?topic=16963.10;wap2 but you need to translate it. Its at the bottom of the page by Deirdre.

• tabb
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's quite a few years since the last post here but I have Senk's 'Snowy Egret' & love it. It was registered in 2008. I'm having trouble finding it's cultivar name/numbers that include

TM so I can post it in garden.org's database. Anyone know how I can find that? It wasn't on the plastic trademarker that came with the plant name on it. I also recommend it to you Senk lovers. I may have new plants to offer in spring 2020 from leaves that broke in shipment to me. Trudy in south Louisiana

• Rosie1949
    4 years ago

Hi Trudy! I remember you and it is great to see you post again. I have had a couple Senk's in the past. I do like them as they are very unique with their elongated leaves! That is quite a list from Korina and patty_mae. My knowledge of Senk's is small and there are a lot on that list I didn't even know were Senk's!!! lol Would be interested in a spring trade also! Keep me in mind! Rosie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH