Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

This is different...

Whitelacey
10 years ago

This is the first time I have seen this in my 40-odd years of growing. I love AV's-always doing the unexpected and different.

Linda

Comments (12)

• elliewilbanks
    10 years ago

Amazing. How will you pot it up to make it's own root system?

• irina_co
    10 years ago

What a cool basket!

Ellie - basically you treat it as a cutting - take the "basket" off, pin it to the soil and get it covered. In 2 weeks it is rooted and growing.

I.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina,
    Should I take some of the petiole with it or cut it flush to the crown? This is a totally new one to me!

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

You can do this or that. The only thought is that if you are going to show plant - it probably will grow slightly more symmetrical without an extra stick... Since it grows on a side of the peduncle- it is someway off center.

I.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina,
    I wish I had seen this as it grew but it was in with many other babies so I didn't notice it until yesterday. How does this happen? Is it a leaf that goes off on its own or is there a nick that sprouts its own babies? Has this happened to everyone except me???

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Probably a nick would be conducive to producing an off located baby - but you have an actively growing young plant - full of growth hormone...it can hit any cell and make it grow..

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

I have my own little weirdo too! I have some leaves rooting and one has a baby coming out of leaf part that is not underground. It has no roots to speak of and I'm thinking of pinching it off so it doesn't divert nutrients from the normal babies.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Violet,
    I've had that a few times. Just let it get to the size you would normally separate a baby from the mother leaf and root it. It works great!

Linda

• AnnaKay
    10 years ago

I came to this forum today to ask this very question--Wow! I believe mine grew out of a cluster of flowers; I discovered the leaves when I was checking the blooms. Well, now it has produced blooms of its own. I surely am no way an expert on African violets, just rooted a leaf from one I admired and now I have this unusual situation. So, I should pot this little critter, cover it with a clear dome of some kind, and it will grow its own roots?

I am thankful for the help of experts here!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna,

Yes! You can use a baggie, make sure your soil is not too wet, and put in good light. Rooting usually takes about two weeks, depending on your conditions. You can give it a gentle tug and that will tell you if your little oddity has rooted. When it has, open the baggie gradually to acclimate it to room conditions. Let us know how you do!

Linda

• AnnaKay
    10 years ago

Linda, thank you! I've actually been watching this little thing grow for a few months because I was afraid I'd kill it if I cut its petiole. (See--I've learned some terminology here today!) As soon as I can find an appropriately-sized pot I'll take your advice and see what happens.

When this independent little plant bloomed I couldn't believe it!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna,
    Make sure your pot is not too big. If you have a solo cup you can use that.

Linda