Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Terrarium violets and misting

lucillle
15 years ago

I have some terrariums to which I am going to add some AVs. I am planning on building an automatic misting/drainage system. Has anyone used a fine mist on their AVs, and how did they do?

Comments (8)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Lucille - hi

I believe that the preferred humidity for the AV is about 50%. So there can be some problems just because it will be 100% humidity in your terrariums. They develop spots on leaves if the water drops are sitting on the leaves and in the crown, especially it is cool. ( Shouldn't be cool in Houston though)

But - you just need to try. You can always remove your violet if it is not happy. I would think the miniatures and semiminiatures should look good in your terrarium, standards will grow to the size of rhubarb and take over.

I use terrariums for episcias - they would love it there and the leaves are exquisite and they bloom - the only thing = you need to keep an eye on them and remove spent blooms and old leaves so they wouldn't rot. Micro-miniature sinnigias would love the conditions - sinnigia pusilla for example would grow like a ground cover and bloom. Gloxinella lindeniana does well in terrariums - provided you have enough light - otherwise it becomes leggy. But the leaves - are to die for. Gesnerias would love the conditions and would bloom with hot orange tubular flowers - the wetter the better.
    Irina

• lucillle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Irina,
    Thank you for the detailed answer and it sounds like you have beautiful plants too.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I heard something about AVs blooming more when they are root bound? Is this true? Do I need to put them in a small pot in the terrarium then?

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Lucille -

the best size for the pot is about 1/3 of the leaf span. Since your environment is wet - I would go for a really light soil mix - like 1:3:1 -peat-perlite-vermiculite - to let the roots breath. Certainly lighter of the store bought soil or soil they sell AVs planted in Walmart.

Good Luck, hopefully you will post a pic for all of us to enjoy.

I

• lucillle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I may not do pots and see what happens. The substrate consists of coir chunks atop drained but moist leca, with a top dressing of sheet moss.

• korina
    15 years ago

Actually, it's the maturity of the plant that determines when it blooms; the 'snug in the pot' has more to do with not encouraging root rot by having constantly wet soil surrounding the rootball. As long as your substrate has plenty of air and moisture, it should be fine.

Humidity is a bit iffy; 50%-60% is recommended, and good air circulation is vital. Definitely play with it, and see what happens.

Also, go with Irina's recommended plants; they'll look gorgeous.

This reminds me that I should try planting more Gesneria seeds and see if I have better luck than last time; it wasn't pretty.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Korina

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Korina is right - if your substrate is very loose - they will do OK, but I will stick with semi-mini or mini - the standard AV can grow to the size of rhubarb if it is root happy.

I.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How big is a rhubarb?
    2/3 of my order are standards.