Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to start african violets without soil

Posted by michael1846 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 8:17

Ok so I'm sick and tired of everyone starting there leaves in soil in reality it's so much more fun and easy in water here is how I do it I take a glass cup of water then I put clear rap over it (the kind to save food) after that I take a rubber band and I band it then I poke moles and insert the leaf stem in if u put in where u normally put your cuttings u will soon see roots coming right out of the leaf I don't know if I'm luckey but I have never lost a leaf doing this unlike when I used to use soil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to start african violets without soil

Michael

- whatever works for you - is the best way.
it is like a question - which road is the shortest - the one you know!

I think you are correct - you probably have more chance to lose the leaf to rot in a soil (helps if soil is sterilized). I had trouble rooting one of "Sonoma's" leaves- it was very variegated - and the stalk was rotting all the time -I recut it - and it got rotten again - I eventually stuck it in vermiculite- and after a long long time I got a baby. I didn't even think about water - it would be a good way.

I.

o

@michael1846: Thanks for sharing your experience. What currently works best for me is to start leaves in water exactly like you described, and as soon as roots start to show I transfer them to a soil-less mix and put under a clear dome. I find that starting in water and transferring considerably cuts down the time until I see mouse ears versus rooting leaves in soil from the get-go.

o

so - when you are using just the water, does the stem actually extend into the water or does the humidity stimulate the growth? I've never had success with water, but I have several leaves in soil right now (been there for several weeks) and haven't see anything as yet. I'm willing to give water another try on a couple of them.

o

Make sure that you have a clean cut with a sharp razor blade - that's important. You need to submerge the stem under water. Michael described how you do it in his first post. When it starts showing the roots - you plant it in a lose barely humid soil - and use the water you had it in - it has growth hormones now. Keep it covered for a week or 2- and off it goes.

I am just plain lazy - if I put down a tray of leaves - - I do not want to go through the extra care - water - soil - move - what not. Most of the time they root - but it depends - fresh leaves from my plant always root - leaves from a mail order - that can be challenging. I got a set of leaves from a friend - and before packing she dipped the cut in Superthrive - I had first tiny leaves showing in 2 weeks. It was a record for me.

I.

o

Irina,

Do you know if the Superthrive was full strength or diluted? (I feel an experiment coming on...).

Linda

o

I can't root AV leaves in soil either..

Here's how I now root. I choose a healthy leaf in the center of plant. Not an old or new leaf.

I use a small, about 6", clear glass. Fill glass with room temp water. Place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the glass. Then, make a hole in the center of aluminum foil using a pen or sharp pencil.
I then insert AV leaf stem in the hole.
Water should be changed every 2nd or 3rd day.
Glass is kept in a north window.

Works like a charm. Toni

o

I keep them into the water unroll I see leaflets coming out for fun I just hacked away being careless and stuck them in water just to see if u need a clean cut and I'm getting roots soil seems to difficult I also top water all I do is avoid the leaves and poor down I still get flowers I gess I'm just experimental >:]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here