Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Community Watering tips

nwgatreasures
14 years ago

My sincere apologies...I'm traveling again on business and don't have consistent access to internet nor as much time to spend with pleasure post :)

I can share pics when I return next week if you're interested.

I got PVC couplings that were the smallest that you could buy (I think mine are 1/2 inch) and placed them below the eggcrate material. This raises the egg crate up off the floor of the green tray (green tray rest on the plant stand). With the egg crate raised a bit, this allows the wicking medium to fall through the cracks without being trapped between the egg crate and the floor of the green tray. The end of the wick rest in the open space created by raising the egg crate and this is where the wick will pull up the water that is poured into that empty space.

When I water now, I just pour the water into the tray and when I see the water level right below the top of the egg crate, I stop. I'm having to re-fill about every week. With the water being like it is now, it creates more humidity too.

The couplings act as "spacers" to raise the egg crate. I placed one at each corner of the eggcrate material and then two in the center spaced evenly for center support to prevent sagging of the eggcrate. If I remember correctly, I can fit 4 to 5 plants wide to 6-7 plants deep. There isn't as much "weight" on the shelves since the glass baby food jars aren't there and I can pull out the entire tray and care for those plants.

I also can lift the entire tray with plants included and place inside of a dry cleaner's plastic bag along with a NoPest strip. Keep it closed for 48 hours and viola' - the pest are dead (I'm NOT going to give those thrips a chance to make a comeback!!)

Again, my apologies for the delay in responding. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dora

Comments (17)

• tlovesflowers
    14 years ago

Dora, I have a simular set up but use clean plastic cat food containers that my Mom saves for me instead of PVC couplers.They are 1/1/2 inches tall and raise the egg crate to just under top of tray.The cat food containers also work great as saucers for solo cups and I drill holes in them to use as pot for small trailers ( they are shallow and wider than solo cups). I like to recycle things when I can. The cups are orange,so some folks might not like to use them as pots or saucers. I currently do not wick water, but use this set up to increase humidity by putting water in trays under plants. My house does get dry in winter. I like to hand water my plants as I need to turn them because I have most of my plants on shelves near windows.
    Thank you the tip regarding the No Pest stips for thrips. Great one to remember if I run into that.
    T

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Great tip, Dora! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara

• dixiebug
    14 years ago

Dora, forgive my ignorance. It has been many years since I grew violets and I am just getting back into it. Can you tell me where to purchase the "green trays"? The trays that I have seen are black and slotted on the bottom, and they are pretty flimsy.

Dixie

• minimac
    14 years ago

Dixie,

Sometimes violet supplies are hard to find at your garden centers or big box stores, a lot of growers get their supplies from mail order supply. Indoor Gardening Supply (IGS)is one. You may get on line now and look at what they have to offer. Another very good one is Cape Cod Violetry. To get their catalog you must e-mail John Cook at ccviolets@msn.com or violets@cape.com and just ask for a catalog to be e-mailed to you. They both will have everything you need.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Do the google search on permanest or perma-nest tray.

You need to find the place where you can order in quantity - 10 or 4 or whatever works. Some places they are $12 and some $6 a piece.

irina

• dixiebug
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to use serving trays like cafeterias use? We have a Cash n Carry here that has those for under $2 each.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

A friend of mine used the cafe trays successfully - but for bottom watering, not for wicks, because they do not hold enough water to talk about.

i.

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

kitty litter pans will work too. I like the green permanest trays best though. tish

• lavender_smith
    14 years ago

I like the idea of the kitty litter pans - I may have to try that.

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

The kitty litter pans have nice tall sides which is sometimes helpful to plants that tip over. They come in many different shapes and sizes and colors, so look around before you buy them, as you might see some that will work better for you than others. I got some green ones with very straight sides and a small rounded lip for $1. at a dollar store...they are kitten sized too which was a very good size for putting two on a shelf...I mat water quite a few of my plants. I haven't used the egg crating method, but the kitty litter pans are strong and could hold a good amount of water for that type of wicking. tish

• sabrebuddy
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, I am going into the hospital in September just for a few days and I need to set something up to help water my violets I do have a lot on wicks,but I don't know what this egg crating is and where can I purchase it. Thanks Terri

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Terri =

it depends - if your soil is close to 1:1:1 - you can turn them to wicks, eggcrate, mats, etc.

But if it is just for few days - you can water your plants - and cover the whole stand with a plastic dropcloth to preserve humidity - and they will be just fine. if they are not on a stand - put them all on a table - in a middle of the room - not on the direct light - invent some frame - so the dropcloth won't be sitting on the leaves - and again - cover them.

To convert to wicking - you need to try first and see how it is working for you. I would say that just before the surgery - you need not to worry, but eat well, get some fresh air and build some strength to help you recover later. I just had a small surgery in April - and I had other things to occupy my mind during the recovery - not to worry about my plants.

The way how it works - you get a sheet of this eggcrate in the fluorescent lights department of HD, measure the size of your trays - cut the thing with pruners - and put something to support this grate in your tray. Dora uses couplings - i use 6 condiment cups, I mat - so I cut a cheap fleece throw to 6 pieces, wrap the grate so the edges dip into the solution and put my plants on the top. All my plants are wicked and all soil is 1:1:1, even more perlite for streps.

Good luck with your surgery.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: eggcrate

• sabrebuddy
    14 years ago

Hi Irina, Thank you so much for the well wishes, to be honest with you I am so used to having surgeries as I have R.A. and it has made me have new knees,hips and now they are going to rebuild my foot after you explained the egg crate and showed me a picture ding dong I remember seeing them. I am going to have my husband pick some up for me as he is real good about helping me with my violet's Thanks again -Terri

• irina_co
    14 years ago

OUCH!!!!

• dviolet1
    5 years ago

Hello all,

Came across this web site with instructions that were originally explained by Pat Hancock for using this wicking tray technique. I'm going to give this a try and had a couple of questions about the wicks. Are the wicks just laying on top of the matting? Does the matting stay wet because the water level in the tray kept high, or because the sides of the matting are wrapped around the sides? Is Physan 20 routinely added to the fertilizer solution for the trays?

http://gardenhat.org/wicking-trays-african-violets/

Did find of 5-pack of the Mondi black and white trays that I was going to order.

TIA for your comments!

• dviolet1
    5 years ago

Pretty clear on what's needed and how this works now, thanks Irina.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm