Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maguiretrots

Slow bud development

maguiretrots
11 years ago

I have recently returned to AVs, and I bought all my plants from Rob's. This morning I read the posts about his business, and I was a little :-0, but so far, so good. My light is about 13" above the plants, which are all minis save one, which is doing great. The buds come up and stay small for the longest time and take forever to open. Right now I am top watering these but am preparing to re-pot in Oyama's. I am watering w/ a feeding solution of Schultz AV food. What causes them to take so long to open and stay so tiny? The one pictured here is Dolores' Sugar Candy mini. I apologize for the bluriness. I should have shot it macro. The first bud developed properly, but this next one is so small. I'll also include a shot of another mini.

Comments (19)

• maguiretrots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my light set up.

• maguiretrots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rob's Voodoo Blue mini, and it took those mature blooms forever to grown and open. The developing ones are taking a long time also, although at least it is putting on blooms. They look bigger here, and they are finally growing, but it seems it can weeks for them to develop. Is this what mini's do? There is such a large selection of minis now, I've decided to stick w/ them for a while because I can have more.

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Maguiretrots,

I don't really grow mini's, but I'd bet your pots are too big.

My understanding is that, as long as there's room for roots, AV's will spend most of their energy trying to fill the extra space.

That would definitely slow down any blooming.

YOur plant look really healthy, but I'd try some smaller pots.

• maguiretrots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pots the pictured AVs are in are in the cups that Rob's sent them in. I was reading in the other posts about Rob's sending out immature plants w/ not enough roots. Maybe that is part of the problem. The pots in the back are 2.5" Oyamas.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Rob's Voodoo Blue - is a micro mini:

Excellent little plant. Dbl. deep blue stars over dark, quilted, serrated, miniature foliage. Tiny little 3" plant and good little bloomer. AVSA #7441

So - definitely 2.5 Oyama is too large for it.

Second - you have light 13" above the plants. If you grow minis - light should be 6" above the plants. That's why your minis are slow to develop - it takes longer to accumulate the energy for a bloom. It will not damage the plants - it will just slow them down.

I would put a small tray up closer to the lights - and wick them minis.
    I just looked at your setup again - and it can be even interesting if you put your plants on different levels - some higher and closer to the lights, some lower. But 13" is too high anyway. You probably can do OK if you use t5 lights, but it is a different fixture.

I.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

There is a 3-level bamboo spice rack at Wal-Mart that works beautifully for getting minis and micro-minis closer to the light. It will hold up to 3.5" pots. I don't have a picture, but that's what I use so I can have standards, semis and minis on the same shelf.

You need the thumb pots (1") for the micro-minis.

Linda

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I agree, the light is way to high. The pot is too big around as well. I grow mostly minis (including trailers) in 3 Oz. bathroom cups. Lower the light and next repot time use smaller pots.

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

Any other reasons why a plants buds would stay tiny for weeks? My plant is hot tamale & not a mini. Foliage is very healthy. I tried more light but edges of leaves started to show signs of burning. I don't think it is over potted.

• maguiretrots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I started out w/ my lights about 8" above, but I "burned" the leaves, and on the baby full size AV, the leaves turned up. So then I went to about 13" as most things say between 12"-18". I recently moved the lights down to 12", but I think the leaves on the regular size are curling up again.

• qwkslver
    11 years ago

Interesting about your lights. I have always had mine 6 to 8 inches above my plants and they do well. It could be you have really strong bulbs. Bluebird greenhouse sells nice pots for minis at a good price (not affiliated, just know they're good).

• maguiretrots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are new lights, Gro Lights, GE plant and aquarium lights ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Plant-and-Aquarium-24-Fluorescent-Bulb/16911801), I got at Walmart. The trailer got burned also and is now starting to put on darker leaves. Should I think about another brand? Seems like I used these in the distant past. I did find some 1.5" Oyamas on ebay for a decent price. nbgramma, what kind of lights do you use?

• GCTBA
    11 years ago

My lights are also between 6 and 8 inches above the blooms.
    I use 4 foot fluoros which are 36 watts each. One cool and one warm for each shelf. I have minis, standards and trailers on ther same shelves and I have never had a burn issue.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

When both lights are new, it helps to run for an hour or so at a time. That's what I did when I got new fixtures and didn't have trouble with burning. When you change out, don't change both at the same time, either. Change one and wait at least a month before you change the other.

I use only Oyama Planters: 3.5, 4 and 5" for standards, 1.5 and 2.5" for minis and 2.5" and 3.5" for semi-minis. I also use my 1.5" for starting leaves since I no longer grow minis and micro minis.

You can get three 1.5" pots for $5.10+ shipping from avplanters.com. Don't know how that compares with the eBay price. Also, for those interested, the 2.5" are 10% off.

Hope this helps.

Linda
    I am not affiliated with Oyama Planters or AV Planters.

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

Maguiretrots, I use the same grow lights from Walmart that you have. I have found them the best so far in terms of not burning plants. I have them probably even higher than yours from plants but I have many varieties & they vary greatly for me in how much light they want so for ones that want more light I stand them up on something like an overturned cup so they are closer to the light while others can still be lower. How long are your lights on for? My best light tolerant group is under a light currently 12.5 hrs. I have a couple other groups that are more like 9-11 hrs. Good luck!

• maguiretrots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I turn on the lights around 6:30 and off around 10. I found some 24" cool white and warm white on Amazon (same vendor!)

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

I still think your main problem is lights are on too long for new bulbs. But that's just IMO. :)

Linda

• maguiretrots
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! I'll reduce the time.

• korina
    11 years ago

You might try putting your more sensitive plants at the ends of the fixtures, where the light levels are lower, and your adorable minis in the middle.

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

I agree lights on too many hrs. I use the Walmart fluorescents that say specifically they are gro lights. Not sure now if we have the same kind or not. Either way, although I've read things that say 12-14 hrs that has not worked well for me. Try 8 or 9 & you can increase gradually as needed. Much easier than trying to get them growing again after they have been damaged by light.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH