Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeli_

My favorite mini :-)

lauraeli_
9 years ago

This one is becoming my favorite, it has really grown on me. Im assuming it is a mini. It was sold in a 2inch pot. The flowers lean and hang out pretty far, which is different than my other AVs. But as you can see, it is blooming happily in a north window. Feel free to share, I would love to see some more minis.

Comments (17)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

That is very pretty! I got - well, let me count - 12 mini Optimara plants, plus Little Maya that ended up being just leaves so I hope one of them will be a favorite.

I suppose that one could be a semi-miniature. I'm not sure which ones I got at the store are minis and which are semis but some sure seem much larger.

I like Baby Moonbeam, Snuggles Little Dreamer and Ness's Crinkle Blue. I believe SLD is a semi and probably Ness's.

Diana

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh i really like that Snuggles Little Dreamer! Pretty.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

It's a very good little plant and grows in the window just fine. I think you'd like it.

Diana

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I got a gorgeous mini in Nashville. Here's a photo:

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

It is beautiful, what is its name?
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Sorry! It's Pink Dove by Sorano. I know I'm in the minority but I usually don't care much for minis and semis. This one, however, wow!!!

Linda

• Karin
    9 years ago

I have a leaf of pink dove rooting. But none of my (avsc) convention leaves have sent up babies yet.
    Shirls red sky is about to bloom though :-)
    Karin

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Linda! That pink dove is gorgeous! The day I add that one to my collection might be the day I can no longer buy AVs at walmart lol.

I saw one there not too long ago similar to that although not as stunning. The flowers were pink and quite ordinary. The rounded leaves curled up just a little so you could see the pink undersides. The growth was unruly- the crown was all the way to one side, making it more of an oval, in a way that was puzzling to me.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Linda
    I have a soft spot for plants that look like that, so do give the progress report. I have killed my fair share of plants that look like that but also had some success. So do keep us posted. The Sorano's are usually strong. Seems like you picked up a few from LLG. Did they have a lot of good offerings?
    Joanne

• cmtigger
    9 years ago

I have several semi minis that are happy and blooming, and several minis that aren't yet blooming. The minis are pretty little plants, I love the looks of smitten kitten and Tiny Moon Goddess, and can't wait for them to bloom.

(the semi minis are some Optimaras, Rob's Mad Cat and Rob's Dodo Bird, of the bloomers, Optimara's little Cheyenne and Rob's Mad Cat are gorgeous.)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Joanne,

LLG always has LOTS of good offerings! They usually have micros when no one else does. I got four last September in Mansfield (Ohio AV Show) and I got five in Nashville. They are so tiny!

The thing I noticed about this, besides the obvious gorgeous coloring, is that the plant has beautiful symmetry. It's always good when they come from the grower this balanced as you know the grower has not taken the time to shape it; it's just its natural habit.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

HI
    I have a Rob's Love Bite that is a mini, it is red, and symmetrical.
    The minis and micro minis you both described above sound lovely.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 2:13

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

My fave is "Pixie Blue"!

{{gwi:365326}}

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I love Pixie Blue too. I kept voting for it for "Best Variety" :).

I now have leaves rooted of Pixie Pink, which I've never gotten started. I think it's safe to say that it's not as easy but I'm excited that they've made it this far. They were released together.

I grew Rob's Love Bite for quite awhile and it was a nice plant too.

For some reason Irish Flirt seems to be "hot" on eBay. I had it and it was kind of so-so, I guess. I gave it to my daughter and she had it in her window and it bloomed like crazy. She never repotted the poor thing and it was just kind of piled up. I guess she eventually killed it. It is a nice enough plant but not worth some of the prices I've seen.

However, it is a lot of fun to be able to go somewhere and just buy one. I was a happy person at Lowe's that day, even if one is now marked "I have no idea!"

One of my favorite small plants is one I got a Lowe's several years ago and I lost my favorite little double white one that came from there.

Diana

• quimoi
    9 years ago

You can get Pink Dove on eBay now.

I have Smitten Kitten and I like it. I have leaves set of Tiny Moon Goddess too and I grew it before. It's cute.

I'm fiddling with some thumb pots, something that I swore I wouldn't do again. I have what I think is O. Little Diamond in one.

Diana

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thumb pots? Post a picture of your Little Diamond :-)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

It doesn't look like much at the moment. I just think it's Little Diamond anyway - maybe it's not. The old plant is crooked and the baby is tiny.

Some day I'll get an account and post photos.

Diana

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21