Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_panther

New AV owner - division question

green_panther
15 years ago

Hello,

I recently rescued a beautiful pink double (i think) African Violet from Lowes discount shelf... I just can't seem to help myself. I've done this before, Sometimes they live sometimes I kill them.

This one is doing well in my office at work, at least I think so. It is putting up new leaves... but I noticed that it has multiple "crowns"? Does this plant need to be divided? I really don't want to kill it as it is just starting to rejuvinate.

Thank you for your help.

Click on the pictures for a larger view:

{{gwi:366931}}

{{gwi:366932}}

Miranda

Green Panther

Comments (5)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Miranda - there is 2 issues - you have at least 3 plants there - and your pot is too large for this tiny thing.

What you can do - separate them things - you can cut off the one that is attached from the stem with a razor blade, make a lite potting mix - like take the bag of AV soil you havein a store - and cut it in half or even with perlite. The perfect mix is 1:1:1 peat-perlite-vermiculite. You need to pot each of them in a separate 3 oz solo cup with a hole in the bootom. You can keep the transplants covered with a baggie or a transparent cake box lid.

Or you take your suckers out, plant them separately - and leave momma alone.

They will be OK. With your TLC they will reward you soon with blooms. Hopefully it is a beginning of the new successful hobby. AVs are awesome.

I.

• green_panther
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Irina,

Thanks for the advice. I've divided the plant and have four now. I've got them covered and in a humidity tray - but their feet aren't wet.

We will see how they look when I come back from the weekend!

Green Panther - Miranda

Click on the picture to see a larger version
    {{gwi:366933}}

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Looks good. Hopefuly in 2-3 months you will have all of them blooming. Then you can use the spares as gifts - and get yourself different varieties.

TGIF

Irina

• green_panther
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It has been a year now since I divided this plant and ... WOW!!!

3 of the 4 divisions survived and are thriving. They all have buds and one is blooming! Not a double but big beautiful pink blooms.

Considering this is my first attempt at this, I am thrilled!

I know it is a long shot, but does anyone recognize this particular type of AV?

Thanks - Miranda

click on the pic for a larger look
    {{gwi:366934}}From African Violets

• ines_99
    14 years ago

Great job!! Unfortuanately there are so many different violets, so many different growers, that unless it comes with a name tag, your chances of finding out what it is are slim.

I know that quite a few stores sell Optimara Violets, chances are good that that is what you have, and you could go to their website and try to ID it by looking at the pics there. You have a standard, so look at the standards with your bloom type and color, and also by the leaves...the site will name different types, shape, color, whether they are red on the undersides, etc.