Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetgirl59

Diseases of African Violets

violetgirl59
13 years ago

I've been growing AF's for years and I've never had a problem with diseases. I did learn early on when watering the plants, do not overwater; this will cause "root rot" and once this starts, there is usually no way to stop it. You have to dispose of the plant. Some people may already know this piece of advice--always water AF's from the bottom and never at the top, give it just enough water for the plant to be able to soak the water up in a couple of minutes. If it takes longer than 2 minutes, you've given it too much water. Let the plant dry almost completely out before watering again. AF's like "semi-moist" soil.

Comments (3)

• travisviolets
    13 years ago

Light soil is a MUST! Top watering is how we water in our greenhouse. This is done with a water breaker on a Gardenhose.We wet all of the plant. Top watering is not bad.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Travis,
    I sent you an email about next week's visit.
    Dora

• angeleyedcat
    13 years ago

I wick water my violets but water from the top once a month or so to leach the soil. I learned this to prevent buildup of fertilizers etc. I keep all of my windows open during the summer which puts a dirt coating on all of the plants so I gently bath all of them, including the AVs, at least twice a summer. They seem to love it :)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz