Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

Birthday gift that survived the odds

philpet
9 years ago

Hi evryone, so I am very excited to shear my birthday gift with my friends here. Now my daughter who was twelve at the time sent a friend 200 miles to purchase this AV for my birthday in june 2013, at that time I was more sucessful at killing them than getting one to survived, I accidently broke a leaf while passing too closly one morning, being very sad and upset I stuck the broken leaf in another pot with regular soil. I eventually lost the mother plant from overwatering, but the leaf survived and I got two small suckers, which I removed to their own small solo cups, I thn place this one in its own pot (which was too big) but I learnt this after I came on this forum, I was afraid of loosing it so I watered carefully and let it remain in its pot and one full year has passed and my gift has rewarded me wiith its first bloom. I don't know the exact name of it so I named it Noelee after my daughter who gave it to me,I showed it to her this morning and her responce was " Mommy you didn't kill it". My eyes were filled with tears of joy. I said " no I did not,even though it came very close". Oh and by the way my daughter and I shear th same birthday, June 12.so this is my first AV grown and bloomed from a leaf, so its twice as special. VELLETA

Comments (17)

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

congratulations! wonderful plant ;)

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Very pretty :-)

I love this story

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Anon Lauraeli.velleta

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Veletta
    Happy Birthday, you are
    Sharing a b/day w/ my new grandson! Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 2:52

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Velleta,
    Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading the story and happy to have seen the first bloom.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 21:14

• blfresh
    9 years ago

That's a wonderful story! Congratulations on a beautiful plant and flower!

• Karin
    9 years ago

Good story! Time to put leaves down for next year ;-p
    I just share a birthday with my twin :-)

Karin

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your kind words,and for your advice on this forum,its because of all of you that I could be able to reach this far,this forum is truly a blessing.ðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

First---Happy Birthday!!! :)

Great story. Although we love all of our plants, some are more special for sentimental reasons. I am glad you found us so we could help this special one survive. Make sure you take leaves from this one and grow new babies so you will never be without it!

I share my birthday with the Queen although, I am quick to add, she had it first!

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Linda,I still have the other sucker too,but its smaller so because of limited space I am just gonna keep the two for now,I do plan to put down another two leaves in the near future.same birthday as the Queen,wow that's really special and I would have guess she got it first,Linda is way to perky,active,funny,and a very beautiful,even though we are as young as we feel,the queen is still very beautiful too.ðÂÂÂvelleta

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Velleta, I love your story and your violet, too. I have enjoyed several of your posts here. You are an inspiration to me! I'm so happy that your gift is thriving!
    Sue-who came to this forum thinking she knew a little about violets....and soon realizing it was very little!

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aww,thanks Sue.i feel very honoured and humbled by your compliment.And trust me when I say this"no matter how much we think we know,we all are always learning".from our mistakes,ours successes,each other and even by accident.i have learnt so much since I came to this forum and have even been able to shear with my other friends from home.i sometimes say to myself"what took you so long" lol.i am just happy I finally figure it out.its one of my greatest pleasure to just stand in my green room and admire my plants,now my DH thinks I might be going off the deep end just staring at them,BUT they are one of the reasons keeping me from the deep end(our secret)ðÂÂÂ.Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

You always had the knack, you just needed a little tweaking! Don't let your husband discourage you; he just doesn't get it. It's so nice to have a peaceful area full of beautiful plants for a refuge especially for those of us who live in the north.

Great story!

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Linda,as for the husband,NOT A CHANCE.vellleta

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Velleta,
    Sending good thoughts of encouragement your way.
    People with June birthdays are full of joy but also
    hard workers. You are the kind of person, when life
    gives you lemons, you make lemonade, as the
    expression goes!
    All the best, Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

You go, girl!!! :)

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone,Joanne seems you know me very wellðÂÂÂ.
    Linda I have you to thank for being successful,and everyone else here. Velleta

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County