Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xiach

how can I make my violet flower?

xiach
12 years ago

I got a pot of violet a month ago, at least it'd still bud and flower, but lately it seems like it's not flowering anymore, though I'm seeing new leaves coming in in the center...the existent flowers keep wilting...soon I won't have any flowers :( am I doing something wrong? I have it in a self watering pot and I never get water on the pot...I live in Northern California...

here's a pic of the flower

http://flic.kr/p/9PGBJ2

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of the flower

Comments (12)

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

It looks healthy to me. My plants usually take a rest before starting to produce more blossoms. If you pull off the dying blossoms it will start working on making new blooms faster, so I've read. If you are not fertilizing it you can read up on how to best do that too. If the blooms lasted several weeks it is probably getting sufficient light. In the past I've had plants I brought home drop their flowers within a few days, due to low light.

Tricia

• xiach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

can I just use generic plant food for it? I bought one that you can use with house plants/flowers/vegetables.

• Christine
    12 years ago

I agree with Tricia: your plant looks normal and healthy and has pretty flowers. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Some hybrids bloom almost constantly while others take breaks of various lengths between blooming. New flowers come with new leaves, so you'll probably see new buds before too long.

Although your plant looks good, I posted an AVSA article at the link below that has good tips on how to get a violet to bloom.

The AV Society of America has information about fertilizing here: http://www.avsa.org/BasicCare.htm#Fertilizer
    You can search for more information - there are many opinions on how to fertilize AVs. With a self-watering pot, I use about 1/8 to 1/4 of the regular dose in the reservoir at all times. A generic food will work but note the percentage of urea in it and try to find fertilizer with the lowest level, preferably none, but not more than 10 percent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Won't MY AV Bloom?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Like others have said, some bloom more frequently than others. Also, how often and what do you feed them? I use a 1/4 strength mix of orchid food at every watering and keep them in bright, indirect Sun. Usually the reason a flowering plant doesn't bloom is either not bright enough light and/or they're not fed enough.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

There is an orchid food for orchids that are grown in bark - and it looks like 30:1:1 with a very heavy nitrogen number - it won't work for the long run, if the numbers are more like 7:9:5 for example - will work like a charm. There are specialized AV fertilizers, there is a fish emulsion that is also helpful. Hungry violet will not bloom, guys are right.

Irina

• xiach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now all the flowers have wilted and I pinched them off...so now I just have a pot of leaves...looks like leaves are still coming in in the center...I THINK there are buds, but they never seem to grow into anything...

• irina_co
    12 years ago

X -

you ony have this plant for just over a month. It gets adjusted to your conditions and it will bloom again. Have patience! Everblooming plants are usually made of plastic. Real plants - are living creatures, they grow, they develop leaves - and when the plant is happy and full of energy - it will reward you with beautiful blooms. But to be sure that your plant is happy and strong - you need to provide for it - it should have air and water and fertilizer and light - all in the amount they need - not more not less.

If you look at your plant - try to see a beauty of the plant itself, It tries to grow a symmetrical rosette, tries to grow strong pretty shaped leaves - and the flowers will come soon.

We cannot not make a baby in one month - even if the boss tells you so ;-)). Everything comes when it is ready.

Good Luck

irina

• xiach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here are some pix i took this morning...does it look ok to you guys? are those buds in the first 2 pictures?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/watamelun/

Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/watamelun/

• thominindy
    12 years ago

Hello Xiach.

You should remove the entire bloom stalk, not just the flower. Other than that I think your plant looks fine. As Irina said, be patient and your plant will reward you.

Thom

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Thom is correct - when your flowers from this bloomstalk are done - remove the whole bllomstalk. newbloomstalks with buds will come from under the leaves above the ones that already sent a bllomstalk.

Your plant looks happy and healthy. get ready to the new flush of blooms soon.

I,

PS Some plants bloom all the time - some come in flushes.

• petty
    12 years ago

your plant looks normal and healthy and has pretty flowers. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Some hybrids bloom almost constantly while others take breaks of various lengths between blooming. New flowers come with new leaves, so you'll probably see new buds before too long.

Here is a link that might be useful: petty

• fred_hill
    12 years ago

Hi X,
    I agree with Irina's assessment of your plant. I would however remove some of the secondary leaves (leaves which are smaller than the ones on top of them). I also remove entire bloomstalks. New bloom generally arrives from the three top layers of your plant. I don't like using self watering pots and keep all my AV's in plastic pots.
    Side to Irina: I love your statement that ever blooming plants are usually made of plastic.
    Fred in NJ

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida