Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing african violets outdoors in Florida?

Posted by coyle 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 15:12

Hello, I have an african violet holder outside under my overhang. It gets a little dappled sun in the afternoon for a couple hours, is this too much and is the heat too high 93f?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing african violets outdoors in Florida?

Normally I would say 93 F is too hot for African violets and that growing outside could allow insect pests to enter your plants. Thrips carries INSV disease which is picking up speed now in eastern US.

But you may have found they do all right in that temperature. They are from African, after all.

I think you are the best person to experiment and discover if violets will bloom and do a good job of growing outside. Be careful bringing them inside, though since you could infest other plants.

Nancy

o

So far they are hanging in there. I transplanted them into clay pots and gave them new potting mix. They are a bit wilted but am hoping they acclimate.

o

I would think that keeping them in plastic pots would give them a better chance! Clay dries out so fast, and the fertilizer salts can build up in them and burn the roots and the leaves (where they touch)

I've had a violet outside before here in california, and it did well, I just had to make sure to water it often!

o

I keep a lot of my violets and Gloxinias in my screened in Florida room all summer - they bloom and do fine.

o

hi all let me add my 2 cents in.. I live in GA and I would never sit my a.violets out side its way to hot for them I just got one in by 2 day shipment and it is in shock due from the heat and it was not suppose to have been shipped this eairly so I really had to bring mine down a lot due to the brown leaves. I think in the mid 80's is the best temp. my girls are happy next to lights they also give off heat and my home is air condition, so just be careful not to let them over heat or you will loose your girls. excuse my typos i am in a rush.
happy violeting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here