Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aseedisapromise

What is this?

aseedisapromise
9 years ago

This was a violet on the shelf at KMart with a bunch of other regular types and a few minis in little decorative watering cans. It looks like it is some kind of a cross or something to me, but then I don't know a lot about what kinds of violets there are. Anyone know about this? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

It looks like Optimara AnnaBelle. Were there any labels on it at all? It's very pretty and I wish I'd found one :)

(It's still just an african violet.)

Diana

• susancarol
    9 years ago

Very pretty. Wish I had found one also but I'm not seeing too many violets on the shelf so far.

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

That's beautiful! I've never seen one with bell-shaped flowers! It looks similar to the wild bluebells here. It's now on my wish list! Thanks for sharing!
    Sue

• susan_kc
    9 years ago

Lucky you! I agree, it looks like Optimara Anabelle--if it had an Optimara label on it, you can be pretty sure that's what it is.

Wish somebody around here would get the Belle series plants. :)

• Karin
    9 years ago

AnnaBelle was my first thought also, i've been looking, but so far only found O. Modesty (quite certain) now looking for O. Romance, and the belles, and the jewels, and the little indians, and, and, and.... :-p

Karin

• aseedisapromise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Just an African violet"! None of my violets are "just" anything. I love them all!

This one had a label that said it was "grown by optimara" whatever that means. It was in the standard way-too-large pot with the way-too-goopy soil. The flowers are small, about a half inch across. I looked at the Opti site but I thought this was a little different than the photos of AnnaBelle as the petals are recurved. But like I say, I don't know all the ins and outs here. I just thought it was interesting.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Well, by "just an african violet," I meant that it wasn't crossed with a bluebell or something :). Some interesting ideas have been proposed.

"Grown by Optimara" means that it was grown by Optimara. You have an Optimara variety, not an Anthoflores or something else. Not that I have much experience with the "Belle" series, but I think they are supposed to be standards which probably explains the pot size. Optimara always puts them in that heavy stuff so you are right to get it repotted.

Really nice find there. Some of the varieties do have relatively small flowers but make up for it quantity. Hopefully this is one of them. (I'm not sure I want to see a 4" bell on my violet anyway.)

Diana

• aseedisapromise
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I guess it is AnnaBelle. the flowers are cute and it does have a zillion buds. I wanted to have something in a light blue, and this was just different enough to catch my eye.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I would have bought it because I love blue ones and I've only seen the 'belles once and the woman at Home Depot was watering them with a hose in the sunshine outdoors. I bought one but it didn't survive.

Diana in PA

• lucky123
    9 years ago

I bought an Annabelle as a Walmart rescue and it kept dying and dying but I have little mouse ears from the last leaf.
    I look forward to seeing the first blooms now that I see how beautiful it is
    Thanks for posting the picture!

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

Very beautiful violet!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County