Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sticky Traps

Posted by jeller3677 Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 16:09

I brought some apple grafts in the basement for some TLC under lights and was surprised to see that these little flies were emerging from the pots. I took the apples back outside, and put some sticky traps by my violet trays. Within a day, all the little flies were caught in the glue. Just an idea in case anyone else has trouble with those little flies.
Jon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sticky Traps

Hmm... I wish it was that easy... your fungus gnats left a lot of eggs behind in your pots...

Next time try not to bring anything from outside to your growing area...

The bugs emerge - to mate and lay eggs - and yes - they are caught easily on any kind of fly paper...Probably after they had some hanky-panky ...and left several clutches of eggs...

I sure had a good success getting them down with a fly paper last year...until my cat got himself wrapped in this thing..hard to remove this sticky stuff...

i.

o

Where do you get this kind of sticky trap that is boxed shape? I've always used flat yellow sticky cards and they don't seem to catch very many gnats. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for more buggers, but if they exist I want to get as many of them as possible!

o

@Jon: this thread got buried...may I ask where you find the kind of box shaped sticky trap you use here? I'm glad they worked for your fungus gnat visitors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here