Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-potted my minis

Posted by maguiretrots none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 16:29

Just thought I would share this. I received my 1.5" Oyamas today (good Ebay vendor), and per suggestions, I re-potted my minis, adding some perlite. (The perlite seemed kinda big, so I put it in a small nut grinder and tried to make it smaller. Didn't work too great. I put it in a sieve to shake out the dust.) I've read here how some of Rob's have immature roots, and some of these did, so it's good I re-potted. Some were blooming, and they may loose that since I had to disturb their roots, but there is hope, of course. I left the trailer (Rob's Willawong) in its original cup because it seems happy now, and I guess eventually it will need to go to a 2.5" pot. 1.5" seems to small for it. The 2 white pots in the back are 2.5" Oyamas w/ semis. They are really growing. I guess I need to get the minis closer to the light. I'm still nervous to drop it too much because of the way it caused the full size and the trailer to bleach. But since the minis in their new pots are 13" away from the light now, I will have to drop it some. May think of some way to elevate them, too. Experiment. I appreciate this board. Anybody on the FB AV page?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-potted my minis

well, it didn't upload my picture. It did on the preview. so hopefully, here is the picture.

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 16:17

Pretty little babies! And don't worry about them losing their flowers; they will bloom again when they're more mature. And again. And again... :-)

You might want to put your perlite in a baggie and hit it with something flat; it's pretty easy to crush.

o

That's a good idea. Cleaning the nut grinder was a pain.

o

If you use the perlite found in Big Box Stores like HD, Lowes and Wal-Mart, you don't need to crush it at all. Put it in a strainer, take it outside and run water through it.

I use extra coarse perlite (no dust) for 2.5"-6" planters and the BBS perlite to wick and in the 1.5" pots-only.

All of my plants that will fit, including tropicals and begonias, are in these planters in 2:1 perlite:MetroMix 366 (you can also use one of the heavy grades of Fafard). I use 1/4 strength Dyna Gro "Grow" formula (7-9-5) each refill. Once every six weeks or so I flush the planters until water runs clear to get rid of salt buildup.

Hope this wasn't TMI. :-)

Linda

o

Linda,

Where do you find extra coarse perlite?

Linda

o

Wow, this picture is ancient history. The scenery sure has changed since I took this! I got my perlite from Walmart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here