Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

When to start fertilizing?

larry_b
13 years ago

Hi all,

I donÂt put fertilizer in the medium that I start plant cuttings or leaves. I was wondering when you start to fertilize after seeing mouse ears?

Larry

Comments (5)

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

I put fertilizer in the water that goes in my resevoirs but I add a drop of SuperThrive to each gallon of water and use that when I am wetting the soil during transplant. It has helped to overcome any transplant shock issues and the plant starts sucking up treated water thru the wicks.

Dora

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

Yes, I would start fertilizing after seeing mouse ears. You could use a fish emulsion which is lighter in numbers or even use epsom salts which is good for leaves.

Best fertilizer would be one that would help make roots to support your new babies.

Nancy

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

I use a 1/4 strength fert. at every watering once mouse ears show. New growth on any plant usually means a decent root system is forming below. Above soil growth is dependent on what's happening BELOW the soil. Lousy roots, lousy top growth is my rule of thumb.

• larry_b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dora, Nancy and Tommy for your recommendations.

Dora,
    I have never used SuperThrive. Not to question you, but do you see a real difference when using it? I am willing to try anything that will make my plants healthier. I am also trying to get some plants ready to sell at the September plant sale. It is marginal if they will be ready; that is large enough. And anything I can do, along with what I am doing now, I am willing to try.

Larry

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

(for me) asking for clarification is not threatening :)

SuperThrive is one of my best friends.
    The difference that I see is in the quality of the root system that establishes. Originally, I thought that it was only to help "ease" the transplantation process but I learned differently through experiments.

I use 2 drops to a gallon (so it takes a LONG time to use a container) and I keep it in the frig for storage. It is mainly vitamin B complexes and smells icky.

The two groups that I had were all the Optimara EverPraise. I had about 40-45 of them. They were started as small suckers off of (I think) 4 or 5 cups of babies. Since they all came from basically the same stock (mother leaves were all of same plant), I thought it would make for good comparison. Plants with the ST in the water that first week or so were more than triple in size within 90 days. When I transplanted after 7 months into a new cup, the roots were thick and white and very healthy - vibrant plants and good bloomers. The other cups were just average.

I personally think that ST helps in root system development and as another poster said, what is above the soil level is indicative of what is below. Quality root system=quality plant.

We also use it on EVERYTHING that we translplant or plant in our yard for the first month that we water it. I planted a 4 ft Yoshino Cherry Tree in our yard last Sept and this spring, it has almost TRIPLED in size both in height and width. The nurseryman who put it in for us thought that we had gone and purchased another tree and replaced his. he couldn't believe that it had grown like it did.

Possibly anecdotal, but worth considering, nonetheless.
    When I was trying to "push" my plants to grow for a plant sale last year in the spring, I frequently removed outer rings of leaves to encourage growth and I repotted more often.
    I think of ST as more for the "beginning" than I do for ongoing maintenance.

Dora