Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katmitx

propagation: leaf has crease

katmitx
10 years ago

I ordered 4 leaves online which I received last week. I wish I'd taken close up pics of them but didn't. Three are doing fine but the 4th got limpy on one side and there's also a weird dark crease with a light-colored line down the center, almost like it got creased and was damaged. I was very careful with them when I planted them. I don't know if the limpness is related or not. In the pic the crease is at the lower left of the leaf.

I've done leaf propagation before when pruning/repotting and never had any problems. I also didn't stress since there was nothing to lose. In this case, I bought the leaves and want them to succeed!

Comments (23)

• katmitx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what it looks like from the back. I had to hold the limpy part up with my hand, unfortunately.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

It's hard to tell if there's real damage but I have cut off damaged sections of leaves and still had success. I would watch it closely for a day or two and if the damage seems to get worse or is spreading, I would cut away the bad section leaving the large vein to the top. Let's see what others have to say.

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Take the manicure scissors and cut off the piece with discoloration - not only the break, but everything that turned on the back of the leaf. - practically up to the leaf stem. Do not damage the stem. Dip a Q-tip into ground cinnamon - and dust the cut.

Shouldn't be any problems afterwards.

Irina

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Aha - Linda - I told you we always agree!

It will spread...the whole leaf will rot if not taken care.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Irina,

That's because we are both totally awesome.

Linda ;)

• katmitx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I waited to gauge the health and it deteriorated since taking the pics. I cut off the side and top (including top of stem) because it wasn't looking good up there either. Hopefully I left enough of the stem. I then dabbed cinnamon along the edge. Some got on the leaf and I cleaned it off best I could. Hopefully that's ok. Now just wait and see. I'm bummed. It had such a pretty curly leaf too.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Kat,
    What's the variety?

Linda

• katmitx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windy Day:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope mine turns out like this!

• katmitx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Post-op photo. If you go back to the original photo you can just see that the top of the leaf is hanging over and brownish, so I trimmed that also. The brownish speckles are the cinnamon that I cleaned off best I could. The hairs make that difficult.

=^.^=

This post was edited by katmitx on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 11:08

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Kat,
    It looks like it might be okay. Make sure you enclose it with a baggie or a dome to provide extra humidity and give good light. I wouldn't worry about the excess cinnamon. If it doesn't work I have a Windy Day. I'll send you a leaf. Let us know how it goes.

Linda

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I have done the same thing (cutting bad sections off) with very good success. In fact, I don't think I have lost any that I did this with. Its amazing how tough these plants are and how much they want to grow!
    Yes, definitely cover it.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I am always dumb-founded when people say violets are difficult to grow...

Linda

• katmitx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did cover it with a baggy, as well as my other leaves. I have this one separate from the other 3 tho.

Linda, AVs are the only thing I seem to be able to grow, besides Pothos. Having 2 cats also limits what I can have in the house, so works out well!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Kat,
    I think if you can only grow one thing, violets are that perfect thing. There's nothing better than blooming violets on a cold, dreary, winter's day. :)
    Linda

• michael1846
    10 years ago

Y does everyone do soil leaf propagation just get a cup of water put clear rap on it poke a hole in it and I have allways had 100% success

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Michael -

with soil method you get a blooming plant much faster - and you can produce more babies if you need them for whatever reason. But if you are not in a hurry and you only need 1-2 babies - why not- much less hassle.

I.

• katmitx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I learned the soil method first so that's why I do it.

Bad news, I noticed new browning this morning along the upper part of my cut. I was hoping by now I was out of the woods. :( I guess I could trim again, nothing to lose right?

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Exactly!

• katmitx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My leaf survived and has 2 little leaves coming up, both about 1/4 inch across. My other 3 leaves which I bought at the same time also have leaves coming up! Yay!

Thank you all who gave me advice.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Kat,

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I hate it when people just disappear...

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda
    On another thread, you gave me some great advice
    about rooting a leave. I did have leaves at times
    that did not put out babies. I just let them
    be, and months later, they did produce babies!
    The babies have not yet grown into plants, so
    I don't know how strong they will be.

Years ago, I lived in a house
    that was too dark to grow AVs and it rained every day.
    Now I live in a place with a lot of light and no rain,
    so they are easy to grow.
    However, when I am away, it is difficult to explain
    to the plant-sitter how very little water they need.
    So I try not to be away longer than a week.
    Joanne 47

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne.

Old orchid's growers trick: water well, turn off the lights and go away on vacation! This will give you about two and a half weeks time off. I use it extensively because my other passion is travel. I've been to four of the seven continents-Africa, Asia, Europe and North America and I fully intend to visit the other three as well.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda
    Yes, you are indeed living the "abundant life!"

What fantastic advice! If I thought I could
    leave the violets for 2 1/2 weeks,
    I could leave the mainland ...

I do have a few orchids.
    I have no idea what makes them bloom again, so I've
    learned to take photos when they are in bloom
    and for the next two years ... learn to love green