Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blfresh

Chronic Lurker

blfresh
9 years ago

Hey everyone. I've been on GW since 2010 and grow several cactus and sanseveria. My favorites are my AVs. Thanks for the wonderful advice that I have received over the past 2 years from this forum.
I'm including a pic of a beat up Optimara that I purchased at Lowe's. It has bounced back wonderfully and this is its second bloom. I took all the original blooms off to help it recover. These blooms are huge compared to the first set and the color is incredible. I think it is "Wyoming".
I recently picked up "Tiger" and "Geckos Lady Vespa" and I can't wait to see how they respond. They have settled in and new folliage is on the way! I hope to stay out of my cave for awhile!

Comments (15)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Welcome! Stop lurking :)

Did you look at O. Texas? I am now wondering who I saw at Lowe's tonight because I thought they were Texas but Wyoming does look a lot like it. The leaves seem to be different though and I didn't pay enough attention.

It's very nice and congratulations on saving it. I finally saw the famous "Cubes of Death" so now I can watch for butterworts. All they had were Venus Flytraps.

I am growing leaves of Tiger - loved that one and I think I got Gecko's LV too. We really have good taste ;)

Diana

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant! Well done. Now stop lurking and join in!

Linda

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Oh what a colour! That's really stunning!
    I know I always say that, but I mean it.

• Karin
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful color!

As for lurking, i doubt anyone here is all that intimidating, so just join in! There have been a lot of 'new' faces around lately, and it makes this place so much more interesting!

Cheers,

Karin

• blfresh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I get a lot of joy out of growing AVs. Looking forward to joining in.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Hooray!
    And who doesn't get a lot of joy out of growing AVs? Even the leaves are beautiful!
    ... and that's a good thing because at the moment I have a collection which would make Morticia Addams jealous.

(By the way, I feel compelled to admit that I am also an ex-lurker.)

• User
    9 years ago

I lurked for 9 months before signing up... but everything I read during that time has helped immensely with my modest collection of plants!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, You may find that you will now begin to grow your collection, a little at a time. However, you will do so armed with knowledge of what you want to grow. If you have an African Violet Society Club nearby, you might want to visit to see if you might like to join. And/or subscribe to the African Violet Society magazine. It all depends on how much you want to make this into a hobby.

For myself, I read the Forum off and on when I had a question about care or varieties. Little by little, I got more interested in growing a small collection.

Have fun! It is just a matter of how much time you would like to devote to the hobby, chatting with others on line or in person, and especially, growing the plants.

• lucky123
    9 years ago

I never lurked. I had 6 AV's doing AV stuff and then the Bugs Ate Them!
    I came here for a bit of tea and sympathy, and the friendly folks here listened to my tales of woe, commiserated with my sorrows and gave helpful advice.
    I lost 5 of the 6 plants but the kind people here sent me leaves and plants to get started again.
    Now I have many plants, leaves and much FUN!
    This is a good place so join in. Admire the photos, join the discussions, commiserate with the people who battle bugs and rot and Have Fun
    This is a good forum of good people and everyone can and should join in. No one knows it all. We all learn from each other and the more the merrier!

This post was edited by lucky123 on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 0:00

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

I, on the other hand, more or less "lurked" for years. I turned here when I wanted to do research on, for example, the best red african violets. Back in the day, I thought in order to join in, I had to know
    every hybridizer's name and I was also wary of getting "hooked." I felt that in order to know what others were talking about, I would need to grow examples from all the hybridizers y'all were chatting about.
    However, once I was already hooked, the Forum helped me systematize and spruce up my collection. I also learned way more than I ever planned to use, but eventually, put most of it to use.
    Now I know too much and am in danger of sounding like
    a smarty pants when I go to the club, which I recently joined, and chat up the old pros. That was less than a year ago, so it does not take long to learn a lot here. Joanne

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

I only lurked because I found that most of my questions were already answered in other forum posts!
    It's much better being able to contribute though. I find I spend most of my time chatting to people and helping others with their problems.
    Both are pretty fun.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, that was why I lurked, also. However, sharing and asking questions helped me transition from having a mishmash plant collection to a more orderly collection that makes sense. Joining a club gives me and outlet for selling my surplus.
    Patchy, I like your Aussie smile, on another post. ;o)

• blfresh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's why I lurked too fortyseven. I could usually find answers if I searched the forum. (and I love looking at the pictures.)

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Fortyseven - thankyou, but what Aussie smile?

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Reversed, (: vs. :)

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 16:17