Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiple crowns, do they flower

Posted by radovan Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 19:13

i have a quite old beautiful huge a/v . it is not planted in a/v soil, I planted it into cow manure. it is very green, healthy looking, but it has many, many strong healthy crowns around. the main crown flowers all the time but those crowns around never did flower. are they suppose to flower.

i do not have room for more a/v to transplant those extra crowns. are those crowns daging main crown? should I destroy them? or will they flower one day.

thank you all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiple crowns, do they flower

R. -

you do everything you own way and seems like it works for you.

The violet looks IMHO better and blooms better if it has one crown, unless it is a trailer - trailers should have at least 3 crowns.

After you let you plant develop multiple crowns - even if you remove them - the mother plant will look funny for some time. (Sharp knife or xacto knife work). What I am suggesting is to root at least one of these suckers and pot it. In my experience young plants are more vigorous and floriferous than old ones. So when your sucker will root and mature a bit - it will perform better than the momma. It will probably be a good time to get rid of the old plant - take it to the office, pass to unsuspecting friend etc. - and enjoy the young one. Next time pinch the suckers out as soon as you see them. Tweezers work.

Good Luck

irina

PS (Manure??? Pure manure??? This is strange...)

o

Thank you very much Irina. You gave me a very good advice, I appreciate it.

I did it in pure manure because I did not have any soil and I was lazy to go and buy proper soil, plus did not have any experience.
from now on I hope to do a better job.

Thank you,
radovan

o

Radovan -

there is no such thing as a proper soil in a store. We all play with our own soil. The easiest is to get a bag of so called AV soil and add 1/3 of perlite to it. Or order it on line from the AV vendors - these guys usually mix their own super good soil. VioletBarn.com has a good one, violetshowcase.com, cape cod violetry has great supplies.

Irina

o

irina, thank you very much for the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here