Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

AV's Under Lights In An AeroGrow Garden Unit?

floridabear
15 years ago

Is anyone growing any violets under the lights in an AeroGrow hydroponic unit? The light is so bright,any violet that I put under it starts burning within days. My question is..how high do I raise the light to know it is far enough away to make the violet grow and bloom.Yet not waste the light.

I have one of the compact models called the Aerogrow3,it has 1 flat compact fluorseant bulb in it,about the size of a large hand, and it is rated at '60HRZ,putting out only 26 watts' of light. At its lowest level,about 8ins,I can feel heat from the bulb,and it is very bright. It can be raised up to 2 feet away from any plant. I can set 1 or 2 small violets on the flat growing surface that the violet would sit on.

I cant see how 26 watts is so hot that it burns a violet,and tightens the new growth. But it does.

Does anyone know how far away the light should be from the violet? Or a way to figure out how far to raise the light from the plant. I am getting nowhere growing any of the seed kits in this compact model...I have 2 of the big AeroGrow models that could hold up to 6-7 violets on it, and has 2 very bright compact fluoresant lights in each. But they grow seeds easily and currently are. AeroGrow has no idea about this issue, so I figured I would ask in here. Does anyone have any idea how to figure out how I can use this compact unit to grow and make some violets bloom? And not burn or kill them?

Comments (8)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I can only tell you of my experience growing under flourescent lights. I keep my fixtures 12" from the top of the plant and run them 10 hours a day. This is for a fixture that has 2 40 watt bulbs. I never replace two bulbs at the same time because if I do the plant yellow out and dry up.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Fred in NJ

• floridabear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well all I know is that at 26 watts...this is a full light spectrum bulb...and it is suppose to grow seeds fast..they sprout up in days instead of weeks,and grow fast, but then just dont do much,maybe its to hot for the seedlings,but the booklet that came with it says nothing about moving the light for several weeks!.
    So I wanted to try to use it to get 1-2 violets growing and blooming since they are suppose to make plants grow fast and bloom. But at piddly 26 watts,as I said,and at 8 in away ,they burn violets. So I guess i could try 12 in away and see what happens. Thank you.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Floridabear,

I suspect you'll just have to experiment with it. Be sure you are measuring from the bulb to the top of the plant.

So, how did the surgery on Splatter Kake go?

Barbara

• floridabear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My splatter kake has been dead for a long time. I have bought like 4 more and have yet to get a bloom from any, they are so small.

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

I think that Splatter Kake is one of those plants that is a little difficult to grow. I have that plant and it doesn't bloom all that often, but when it does, it is quite pretty. Another plant that is like that for me is Music Box Dancer.Oh, and Carnation Sprinkles is like that too. That's just my own experience. On the other hand, Wisdom is in heavy bloom constantly! Even if I disbud it, a couple weeks later, it is blooming again! Ness' Crinkle Blue and Optimara Barbados bloom often for me as well.

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

How about adding "shade"? Is there a way to put some light curtain netting fabric or window screen between the light and the plants?

• floridabear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lilypad22....I am now growing 2 small violets under 2 of my BIG Aerogrow units that are currently growing herbs and petunias..but they are just tiny seedlings so far. So the violets get the light,and the seedlings still have room to grow. the lights are VERY close to them,since it is still 'stage 1'. The seeds are still sprouting. So I cant raise the light yet.. I have put a paper towel over the leaves,and sure enough the parts that are covered are growing fast, the parts not covered are burning. the lights are so hot and intense. The natural light here in south Fla, is hot and intense to. But I have 'shade' type screening on my windows,which make the violets grow and bloom great! I thought of that idea long ago..just wondered if anyone was doing it besides me and could tell me if they had good luck. I am having my own good luck so far. But see next post!!

• plantman532000
    14 years ago

I've managed to start leaves in my aero gro, but next time i want to try using long strand spagnum moss, it will be easier to separate the babies.The leaves were in a deluxe unit and the hood was fullly extended (24"). I also have a number of plants sitting on the top of the growing area and with the light hood fully extended (12-24") I'v had no burn.I am hoping to soon start some mini and micro mini av's in spag just for my aero's (I only have 7) I want to see how they will do.

John in PA.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor