Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Ness' Viking Maiden

tammypie
11 years ago

Success! Here my Ness' Viking Maiden. I've owned this AV for close to 8 years now. Never bloomed for me, ever. After I moved, she was neglected for many years until 2 years ago I did a major overhaul on her. New potting mix (1:1:1 PVP mix), charcoal, removed all roots, scraped the neck, rooting hormone, baggie, and once rooted a mist once in a while. North window exposure. Lots of natural light. Added a rusty nail into the mix and weak solution of DynaGro (4 drops to a quart). What an AV! This pic from my cheap digital doesn't do her justice. Isn't she pretty?

Comments (25)

• maguiretrots
    11 years ago

Very beautiful.

• phal_pal
    11 years ago

Oh, how pretty. I love all Ness hybrids. That white is like blinding snow. Good on you for making it bloom!!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

She's gorgeous!! Note to self,must find a white one!!!LOL
    kathi

• terrilou
    11 years ago

I like white violets and yours is very lovely!

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Recognized as one of the best show whites ever. In my conditions prefers low to moderate light.

Good Job!

irina

• PoohBearLvr
    6 years ago

I know this is a very old post, but maybe your still around, on this site. why did you put a rusty nail in the pot?? What is it suppose to do? And do you have any babies off this Viking Maiden, if you still have her? I love this pure white violet, cant find it anywhere, only leaves, and i cant wait THAT long. So...i am searching all over the internet for it. And found you. So...the nail and any babies for sale??? Thank you.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Never heard about nails...iron is a useful microelement - but good fertilizers carry all necessary microelements. It is probably a home remedy from pre- DynaGro times - when AV growers watered their plants with weak tea, egg shell water etc. Tammypie's Ness Viking Maiden looks good - so probably the nails didn't hurt.

I keep a pot of NVM for my own enjoyment. I had several for sale last season - and nobody was buying them, just plain nobody. I probably sent them out as gifts and didn't put any leaves down. Check with pjsviolets, they probably carry it.

• Paul MI
    6 years ago

Plant sales can often be hit or miss. See that often at orchid shows. At one show a certain type of orchid will sell like hot cakes. Show or two later, can barely give that type away.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Yup. You nailed it.

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

Congratulations after your long wait. She’s pretty!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Cheryl - the first post is from 2012... WHO KNOWS... plant can be dead, the plant grower can be collecting no care silk plants or coke bottles... Yup - we have our resident bottle collector in this group too... Sometimes there is something interesting in a very old post and people revive them... Kinda confusing - trying to talk to people who are already in a violet heaven...

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

Hahahahahahahaha - poor little one! I hope it’s not true!

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Very nice Viking girl! I have one too but its not as pretty or well developed as this one. Certainly my favorite white but mine periodically will show the slightest tint of pink in some of the petals.

Thought Id throw a pic of my Sansaucy CoCo.

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Tammypie, I can't wait for my Viking gal to look like yours!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Jeff - Ness Viking Maiden is a low light plant. Move it to the edge...

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

I currently have it on a low light shelf. Ill try reducing a bit more.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Yup - even lower...

• PoohBearLvr
    6 years ago

Jeff. Your 'Sansaucy CoCo' was the violet that got me interested LONG ago in fantasy blooms. I know IT isnt a 'fantasy' bloom, but it has cool coloring, and I found out about fantasy bloomers, by growing that one, and searching for other white edged ones,...and i came across 'fantasy' blooms. Mine is long gone, but I had one for a few years, then I lost it for some reason. Glad to know it is still around. Nice specimen! And another 'Viking Maiden'. I WANT one!

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments. I have had CoCo for a while and have since moved on to other whims within the AV world. Its still nice enough to keep even though it is not as flamboyant as some of my others.

My Viking Gal was an answer to my quest for the perfect "white". Haven't found anything better so it survives as my one and only "white". I have others that are nearly white, but they don't count.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Best white with green leaves for the show. Period.

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Maybe she will be my first effort at achieving some show standards. Im not motivated at this point but I love a good challenge. Ill have to take pictures of it and have the folks here be my judges!

• dviolet1
    6 years ago

Yes you should have an easy time meeting those Reporting Standards. Hahaha you guys crack me up

• dviolet1
    6 years ago

More seriously Jeff, sounds like a challenge you (and a few others) could have some fun with doing. Never know where a GW blue ribbon will lead you...

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

I don't think Id have any problems with irina having her thumb on the scale but Rosie and a few others love everything!