Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigbeaks

tight crowns or lights too close?

bigbeaks
13 years ago

I have just recently gotten a new plant stand (T-12 lights), and I believe my lights are too close. They are about 8 inches from the top of the plants to the bottom of the bulbs. The plant stand is the full size light cart with four shelves. The fixtures have two bulbs, not four. Before the plants were under different lights (T-5 lights), but about the same distance. My plants are all getting really tight small leaves growing in the crowns. Leaves on some are curling under, and the blooms are much smaller than normal. This never happened before moving them to my new plant stand and I've inspected them for bugs and mites as best I can. My question is, can I correct this by simply reducing the amount of time my lights are on? They were on 13 hours before, and I just decreased them to 9 hours. Or do I need to figure out how to get them further away from the lights? Also, what do I do with the plants that have the small leaves in the crowns... Do I wait them out and let them grow or do I remove them?

Comments (11)

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

Don't remove the crowns. More crown will grow in the middle but maybe not right in the center.

You have lights on for 13 hours. Usually growers have them on for 10 hours per day. At show time, they do increase up to 16 hours a day, but this is for a short period of forcing growth and flowers. Keep lights on for about 10 hours per day unless you take plants to show.

At the same time, continue to think about broad mite because of the down-turned leaves. Do you have symptoms of very hairy leaves, brittle leaves? Misshapened flowers? If so it is time to think about broad mite.

But it it more likely it is a light problem. I think you will see changes once you turn down the light hours.

Nancy

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I second Nancy -

8 inches is about right - but the recuperation time is I would say 6 months. AVs do not grow under T5, unless you put them 24" above I guess. The plants are damaged and it will take time for them to grow new healthy leaves. But even the itty bitty leaves are working now - so do not remove them. Your plants will kick back and bloom earlier than in 6 months - but they will look a bit strange. When the plants will grow several rows of good size leaves, you will remove the odd ones.

I would say that 10-12 hours are OK, doesn't make that much difference.

So far - just observe - you keep an eye on pests - just as Nancy said - and you keep an eye on plant growth - you stressed your plants - and they usually react with growing suckers - just as Nancy said - the crowns off center.

But the plants are amazingly resilient, they will take time to row out of damage.

Do not get rid of your T5s - one day you will be interested in growing other gesneriads - and there are some that require exactly T5s. Or you can grow your tomato seedlings next year, or Orchids.

Good Luck

irina

• travisviolets
    13 years ago

Turn off the lights for 2 weeks . They will lossen up.

Travis

• bigbeaks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Travis, are you saying to turn off the lights completely for two weeks?
    Thanks,
    Chris

• bigbeaks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Nancy and Irina for your help. I have some pictures, if I can figure out how to post them, I will.

• travisviolets
    13 years ago

Yes turn off the light for 2 weeks.

Water with water only and use 1/2 tesp of Hydrated pickling lime pet quart of water.Pour this in the pot untill it runs out of the bottom. Do this in the sink.

The plants will tell you if its the light or not. They should loosen up and reach slighty upright.

Then you can start looking for mites.... I dont think it will be a bug problem. Mites will have a totaly different look.
    Travis

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I do not know - may be for a week? 2 weeks seem too radical.

The best resort for violets - plastic dome - or some kind of transparent plastic cover - the greenhouse effect helps to basically revive sad plants.

i.

• angel2008
    13 years ago

Travis, could you explain this pickling lime a little more? I have never heard of using this. Thanks.

• travisviolets
    13 years ago

Look Guys I grow tens of thousands of violets and been growing for over 35 years. I do not confess to know it all.I have Seen it all and done it all. Tight centers of plants can be PH, Lights,Cold and bugs. If its bugs it will be more than tight centers. If you have mites it will be a different look than the tight centers. Avid will take care of the mites and your thrip problems.

The lime will raise the ph and the plant will loosen up.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Travis,
    I'm glad to see you sharing your expertise and opinion here :)

Dora

• jane_in_bristol
    13 years ago

Hmmm,

Pickling Lime is also known as slaked lime, or calcium hydroxide. Its a way to introduce calcium, which plants need, and reduce acidity at the same time.

I add a pinch of pulverized dolomitic lime (from the natural stone source) in my terrarium mixes for begonias - it counteracts the acidification that tends to happen with long strand sphagnum peat in a closed environment. I actually got it from Cedar Creek Violets.

Garden Lime (like the type used by the pound on lawns) can have traces of other things in it, including lead, so this is really clever - I would think that using human food-grade pickling lime, you can make sure you're getting a very pure form of the calcium hydroxide; CaOH. And, you can buy it in smaller amounts (rather than the 50 lb bags meant for lawns).

Interesting - I hadn't thought of pickling lime as an easy-to-find source of very pure calcium hydroxide. What a great tip!

-Jane