Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonsforchams

Finally!!!

lemonsforchams
14 years ago

I saw my first mousie ears and what looks like a tiny flower bud popping up on one of my Ness's 'Crinkle Blue'' leaves. I just posted about whether I should fertilize the rooted leaves to encourage plantlets, since it has been almost 4 months since I put them down. I will remove the bud, when it is a bit bigger, right now, it is incredibly tiny, but still reconizeable.

I hope this is the start of a a turn around for my violet plants. I lost a total of 5 plants and now have 6 plants in a recovery trat that are finally coming around. I have leaves for all of the varieties I lost except 2, that were freebies and too small to take leaves from. I should be back in the swing and seeing some blooms before I know it.

I also am seeing some terrific things with my petrocosmeas and streps downstairs. I have several blooms and buds on the 2 largest streps and my other 2 are growing out nicely. The pets are putting out lots of nice, even foliar growth and the Pet. Kerrii has really begun to show itself at its best. It was a barely rotted plantlet, wobbling from side to side in its pot, when I first got it, now it is a strong and stable plant, with distinguishable adult characteristics.

I am liking how things are shaping up.

Comments (7)

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Remember that scene where Tom Hanks is stranded on the deserted island and he struggles and struggles and finally builds a fire? Then he jumps up and shouts, "Look what I have done!" It feels kinda like that.

• phoebesviolets
    14 years ago

Seamommy wrote:
    "Remember that scene where Tom Hanks is stranded on the deserted island and he struggles and struggles and finally builds a fire? Then he jumps up and shouts, "Look what I have done!" It feels kinda like that."

Yes it does!! Great analogy!
    Congrats Lemonsforchams...Good growing!

• lemonsforchams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have been very busy with work and social events. I am very happy to have some good things coming about, after so much failure. I got 9 new plants just the other day and I have repotted them, with a layer of perlite in the bottom of each pot and cut my mix with more perlite and vermiculite in gerneral. I wicked them and have my fingers crossed that I found a method and ratio that works well for me.

My recovering plants are looking great! Many are growing new crowns and are showing better leaf color, shape, and texture, than they did on arrival, before the root rot. I expect to be repotting them soon. I now have 2 streps in glorious bloom. One is 'Purple Peppered' and the other is 'Rasberry Networ'. My petrocosmeas are growing to show-worthy perfection adn quicker than I expected. I have tons of leaves rooting in solo cups that were groomed from the new arrivals and my AV club is having a Fall sale, I hope to be ready for. Things are looking up and I am really enjoying the daily times I get to spend looking at my plants and seeing them grow/improve. Thanks to everyone for thier support and advice.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Congrats!

We love success stories when they make you feel great!
    Dora

• frank325
    14 years ago

If you're jumping up and down saying "look what i have done", I bet that leaf of yours is thinking "hey, i did all the work here, look what *I* have done!" ;)

• lemonsforchams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am happy to report that all of my recovering violets are now repotted into normal pots and doing just perfectly! I have leaves and babies coming out of my ears and my newest arrivals are potted up and doing great as well. My last 2 strep varieties are budding and soon I will have 4 streps in full bloom! I even repotted them and they are doing fantastic! I have my petrocosmeas to repot when my turface gets here. I have a large order coming from Lyndon Lyons and I can't wait for them to get here. Included in that order will be my first Chimeras, my first Chiritas, and some more pets and violets. I will be listing all my plants at the bottom of this post, since I now have 50 total! That is varieties of violets, combined witht he other gessies. I am so glad I finally got the knack for things and can't wait to get some blooms on my starter and recovery plants. Here's my list, for those who are interested:
    Violets:
    1)Kei Yoki
    2)Wrangler's Gaudy Lady
    3)Ness' Crinkle Blue
    4)Gher's Witch Doctor
    5)Lyon's Spectacular
    6)Buffalo Hunt
    7)Private Dancer
    8)Sterling Trinket
    9)Sansoucy Coco
    10)Autum Lace
    11)Edith's Reflection(s)