Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terralizzy

Is it normal for the original flowers to die off...

terralizzy
14 years ago

I purchased some plants for my terrarium that were labeled "violets", I think they are African Violets. I have one problem though, when I buy them all of the flowers that are on them die. However, it looks like some new flowers are budding. Is this normal?

Comments (10)

• frank325
    14 years ago

Flowers can't last forever :) How long after you buy them are they dying off? And yes, new flowers can pop up.

• terralizzy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I know that :) haha. But they are ALL dying within like two weeks after I buy the plants.

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

They weren't in a terrarium before so it's probably in part due to the sudden change of environment. If you're getting new buds right away must be a sign they are settling in. I would keep the terrarium vented at the first sign of condensation for a while.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

That brings up a question for this budding newbie of AV and their culture: how long do flowers typically last (an individual flower)? And how long does a flowering cycle typically last (before stopping and a period of flowerlessness sets in)?

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

This is one of those "it depends!" answers :)

You could easily have blossoms on the same plant for months...just not the same blossoms! Carefully snip the ones that die off - there are usually buds on the same stalk that are poking along in development slower than the first to appear.

They seem to form in intervals around the plant (in 3's just like the leaves develop in rings of 3) and 1st one is slightly ahead of the 3rd one. By the time the first ring of stalks are in full bloom, the next ring of 3 should be coming along ...if the plant is a good bloomer.

There very well might be plants in your collection that bloom fast & furious (and don't last all that long) and then take a break. Maybe several months...which is why AV addicts have to have MORE, MORE, MORE! So something is blooming all the time.
    (You know - in theory. I'm NOT an AV addict. I can stop searching the Internet, jotting down my wish list anytime... ;)

Laurie in Maine
    http://sockshavenothumbs.blogspot.com/

• frank325
    14 years ago

I just wish they bloomed as long as my orchid. It was blooming when my sister-in-law gave it to me just before Christmas, and they went strong until last month. Amazing!

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

HI,
    If you want an AV that blooms for a long time try one of the space AV's from Optimara.I have Everpraise and it has held up for a long period.
    Fred in NJ

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

I'm not looking for lengthy cycles, per se. Just wondering what to expect. Does a flower last a couple of days or week? And, when in bloom, do they normally bloom for a couple of weeks, a month or a couple of months?

I get it depends, because different named varieties will certainly have different characteristics. I'm just collecting information for my brain (it likes information, lol) so I have an idea of what to look for.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Different plants have different variations on blooming.

Obviously, the healthier that plant, the more blooms and the longer life cycle of that particular bloom.

Space baby blooms last longer and I've found that many Optimara standards will last a while. I've had them to last for weeks....depending on growing conditions and if I snip off the drying ones.

Dora

• aegis1000
    14 years ago

Most African Violet flowers last for quite a bit of time. Generally, at least a week ... many times longer.

What was said before is true too. Due to cyclical blooming, I've had plants that always had flowers for the greater part of the year.

Sponsored