Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie here, and I think I made a rookie error and overwatered.

Posted by grace_m NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 23:25

Now I have these shiny, plastic looking spots on the undersides of two leaves. We've had several days of almost 100 degree temps and really high humidity. That could also be a factor. Or am I totally wrong about the cause?

Any help would be really appreciated. Can this plant be saved or will the spots spread?

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of tops and bottoms of leaves if needed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie here, and I think I made a rookie error and overwatere

If you have over watered it, take it out of the pot and let it drain on newspaper then put it back.

Overwatering kills more plants than anything else.

It looks like the brown spots may have come from your hitting it accidentally. Overwatering most often causes the whole leaf to become a rotting brown mess that has to be removed.

Nancy

o

Thank you Nancy. I didn't notice the spots until yesterday when it was time to water again, so the plantlet is already dry.

I feel bad that I damaged it, but at least being less of a klulz is easier than rescuing a plant from rot:)

o

African violets are tough little plants.

I've knocked a number out of their pots and to the ground with no significant damage to the plant other a broken leaf or two.

The only time I lost one, even to a fall, was when the entire plant broke off right below the crown.

Those little nicks and bumps essentially won't matter much, unless you plan to exhibit.

Keep up the good work with the disciplined watering. Your plant looks fine and healthy.

o

I was so afraid I overwatered it and it was a goner. Thank you both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here