Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil in oyama pot too wet?

Posted by violetta1976 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 0:14

I'm using the soiless wicking mix from avplanters.com in an oyama pot with perlite at the bottom... in short, I'm doing everything I thought I was supposed to. But the soil seems awfully wet, far wetter than I've ever let the soil get for my AVs before. I'm not sure what to think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil in oyama pot too wet?

Violetta -

I looked them up and they have 56% of peat moss in their mixture. What I like to have is 33% of peat for wicks and 25% for Oyamas. So if you add 50%-75% perlite - it will be better in my opinion. You can get by with what you have till the next repotting if you let your Oyamas dry a bit before rewatering and do not fill the underpot up to the highest limit.

Good luck

Irina

o

Awesome, thanks Irina!

I have the same mixture in an oyama that I'm trying to grow a baby in from a leaf. Do you think that one will be okay? Or should I just scrap it and start over again with more perlite?

o

Violetta -

you can easily rot the leaf in Oyama pot with heavy mix.
If your leaf is in this mix but in Solo cup - it possibly will be OK, just keep it just barely moist and covered. You can always prepare another Solo cup with a lighter mix and transfer your leaf. If it is already rooted - use a fork and accurately move leaf, roots with a bit of soil to a new pot.

There is more than one way to get you baby plants from a leaf - and whatever works for you is usually very much OK.
They are pretty tough little plants and they try to propagate in all conditions.

Good luck

irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here