Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
time to repot? too much light?

Posted by greentoe357 7b NYC under lights (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 0:33

I stuck 4 different AV leaves into this self-watering pot nearly 4 months ago. Two varieties shriveled and died, but these other two puppies are alive and kicking. That's a US quarter in there for size reference. The plant on the right has almost completely covered the mother leaf. So, I guess it's time to repot, huh?

Also, does it look to you from the light-green leaf color that the plants are getting too much light? Or does that color have something to do with my fertilizing? For other plants, I use Foliage-Pro 9-3-6, weak at every watering, but here in the reservoir underneath, there is plain water, and occasionally, when watering/fertilizing other plants, I would splash a bit of it on top of these little AVs.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: time to repot? too much light?

HI Green Toe!
Well, because you said all comments are welcome,
here is my two cents. Yes, you can repot at any time now.
Separate them out into their own little pots. You can keep
the momma leaf attached to one of the sprouts.
As for the color, babies don't need fertilizer, It is common for new growth to be bright green. Babies need less light
than grown plants. The variegated one does look a bit
brown on one of the edges. Variegateds need a little less
light. If you are repotting soon, you can put
the variegated in a less bright spot.
Those with more experience will contribute their 23 cents.
Joanne

o
RE: time to repot? too much light?

I will just go along with Joanne's comments. Babies are often a different color that an adult and the first flowers will often be different, as well.

You can re-pot babies any time you feel comfortable handling them. Do not put them in too big a pot.

Begin fertilizing now but I would use a balanced fertilizer.

Your babies look very strong and healthy!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here