Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

AVSA Wish List

Whitelacey
9 years ago

I have heard mentioned several times that you can submit a 'most-wanted plant' to AVSA and they will print the most sought after violets. Does anyone know about this? How is it done?

Still looking for 'Garnet Elf...'

Linda

Comments (16)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Are you an AVSA member? I believe that is the first step. Then you contact, well, it was always Barbara Elkin, but it's a service for members.

Diana

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am. I looked at the member's pages and I can't find any info.

Linda

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Doesn't it come in the magazine or did you join recently?

You could log in with your password, but the search didn't find anything with "most wanted" ? It looked like it would. (I'm not currently a member so I couldn't actually try it.

Diana

This post was edited by quimoi on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 15:27

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

I've read it's posted in the AVM November/December issue,
    or online: (must be logged in to AVSA to see it)

http://avsa.org/documents#vintageviolets

contact info last found via google (Good as of 2012)

hope it helps,

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have looked everywhere on AVSA site and I can't find anything. The link just took me to the member's page.

The best Varieties are in the Nov/Dec. issue but I will have to dig mine out and see if there is a Most Wanted.

Linda

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

kk, well I don't know what info is actually posted as I am not an AVSA member, but on this link to the AVSA site map:

http://www.avsa.org/site-map

In the Member Content box (pink)
    the last link: Vintage Violets - AVSA's Most Wanted
    is what I was trying to link to...not sure if that is what you wanted,

but it says "You are not authorized to access this page."
    I assume you must be a member & logged in to access it.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Did you try to email Barbara Elkin?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The link on the AVSA site goes nowhere. I have e-mailed Barbara and am waiting for a reply. I'll let you all know!

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still no answer.

Linda

• Karin
    9 years ago

Linda,
    OT, but I found two people who mention having leaves/a plant of garnet elf on the brat forum. The plant was 2011, the leaf 2013. I wrote to the more recent one, I'll email you if/what they reply.

Karin

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Karin!

I am hoping having that more than just me searching for this violet will help a lot!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

I have heard about the Brat Pack but never read it. I wonder why they call themselves the Brat Pack? I think raising violets is a kind thing to do for violets, not a bratty thing at all! Besides, I am too old to be called a brat, that is for kids!
    So, I guess, that is why I never searched it out. But I have heard it is a good forum. Joanne

• Karin
    9 years ago

Joanne, no idea why they call themselves that, but i am not too worried about names. I think i signed up there when there was a lull in conversation here one day. (just HAD to get my daily fix).
    Their hybridizing section is great, it is the only place i have found where people share their crosses and outcomes.
    the rest is quite similar to here, gallery, swaps, and discussion...

Karin

• quimoi
    9 years ago

My thoughts is that perhaps when it was started, they were a younger group? Now, maybe not so much?? ;)

That's my best guess as to the "Brat" thing anyway. It is getting hard to find info and while I can access Facebook, I don't think it lends itself well to in-depth questions. It's kind of like someone posts "All my violets are turning brown, help!" and then 6 people "Like" it....(Yes, I exaggerate just a little but not by much.)

I see Joyce Stork is trying to respond on one Facebook group but they do move fast. I don't.

Diana

• terrilou
    9 years ago

I am a member of the Brat Pack; I believe the name originated because the initial members thought "outside the box" and were probably younger. Anyhow, the history of the name is covered on the site. Its a friendly and informative forum.
    Terri

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Terri, I think I must have been tired when I wrote that post last night! I have heard it is a great Forum, people praise it highly for its specialized info. The name reminds me of those old movies, "the Little Rascals." It is a cute name. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 21:43