Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmila_gw

Tip on how to Grow AV on high temp country

Carmila
11 years ago

Hi,

I would like to ask some tips because the temperature here in Taiwan is from 80F to 87F.

what I am doing just to survive my AV's are to put them on top of a water (the pot not touching the water ).

Is there any other things I can do?

I really really envy when ever I saw many of your AV's

by the way Taiwan is a small country located on SE Asia near China. :-)

Regards

Carmila

Comments (5)

• nyxx
    11 years ago

It is my understanding that they do well with temps between 75 and 85 for the high side. IMHO I don't think your temps are too bad for them. I think your biggest concern would be the window they are in. I believe east facing is best. If they act like they are getting too hot perhaps set a temp gauge in the window where they are and see what the temp is around them. If it is too hot try moving them out away from the window a little bit. For example if you have them on the window sill and it is too hot put a table in front of the window and move them to there with the temp gauge and check it there. You wouldn't want to move them to far from the light but at the same time not have the hothouse environment that is possible in some windows. And of course some violets are hardier then others. As Irina mentioned in a different thread Optimara breeds them to withstand the difficulties of transporting them and all. So I am thinking it is possible that the variety available to you there in Taiwan may be better suited to your area. Do you know the variety you have? Sometimes it's trial and error but if you stick with it you eventually end up with the right combination of plant,soil,light,water,fertilizer, and temps and you too can grow them. I'm sure others will have some other ideas for you. Good luck.
    Oh and how is your soft plant doing? I know it's only been a couple of days but any improvement?

• Carmila
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, :-)
    Thank you for the comment.
    I think your right the light is really my biggest concern, after reading this, I have found that I only have the north window on my apartment, but since I am near the building stairs I might try to put my AV's their because it has the east window.
    Sadly I dont know what variety I have but as for my checking with other AV photo's I have minis and one with big leaf but I still dont know what variety their are, sorry because I cannot ask the sales lady because not easy to understand the chinese name :-)(by the way I am not a local ).
    Some of my friends told me to give up, but I told them NO I will not!
    Thank you , I will keep on trying to get the right recipe to grow them :-)

about the sick plant, I try to check the soil,because it really looks not well, and found a rot on the tip of its root, I immediately remove it and damp it on kitchen towel, and also have 3 suckers (as I have read on the forum) I replant it and put it on a ziploc . Crossing my finger and I am talking with them too, my only wish is they become healthy.

by the way,my past time now is reading all the post here on the forum. :-) ( even at work )...

Have a nice day!!!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Just give them bright filtered Sun and they'll be just fine!
    My AV growing spots get to 90+ at times this time of year. Just make sure they get watered when almost dry and no direct Sunlight.

• Carmila
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tommy,
    Thank you for this info. :-)
    and take note on that.

• sheilatse
    10 years ago

I grow mine in perlite only at temperature of over 90F in Malaysia, least it grows and I have propagated to get so many pots of av now.

I cannot grow in peat in an air con room ie my office, it will die from overwatering in long term. It definitely cannot survive at all outside an air con room but it grows if the media is perlite only, the leaves may not look as fresh as in air con room leaves. I have killed more than 30 pots of av in 3 years trying until I got the tecnique.

I have posted in the gallery with title av propagated in malaysia

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz