Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chanticleer violet blooms

Posted by minal 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 7:15

Hello, I just got my first set of blooms on my Chanticleer violet. Each bloom as two sets of small petals/leaves underneath as seen in the picture below. I have never seen this on other violet blooms.
Is this something unusual?
Does this bloom/petal combination have a name?
Is this normal for Chanticleer?
thanks,
Minal

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chanticleer violet blooms

I went to the AV show here a few months ago. Someone pointed this out to me on a bloom, and told me, if you want to reproduce that bloom exactly, you could plant that stem with the little leaves on it. She was referring to the ones with various colors. She said if you grew one of those from a leaf, you could get anything in the blooms, but if you grew one from one of the blooms with the little leaves on the stems, that is the bloom you would get.

o

ok wow, I didnt know that, thats interesting.

o

The two "leaves" in the picture are called bracts. They are normal and are found in some form on all violets. I used to grow Chanticleer and seem to remember it having relatively large bracts, whereas many other plants have very small, thin bracts that easily go unnoticed. Most plants have two per inflorescence (bloom stalk) but some, like Optimara NeverFloris, have 3. What eahamel said about planting the bloom stalk to reproduce plants with that flower is true, but I'll clarify a bit. It is most often used to reproduce chimeras, which will not come true from leaf cuttings. If a plant also has a spontaneous flower mutation it could be used to reproduce that as well. This method is significantly more difficult to master though.

Mark

o

Amen to that Mark!

o

thanks for that mark, I love this forum, you get learn something new everyday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here