Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raven_ladybug

Iceberg sporting to Chimera

raven_ladybug
13 years ago

Good morning everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has had the African Violet named Iceberg sport to a Chimera? I have had this plant about 4 months now and this is itÂs first blooming for me. I got the plant from the Violet barn, so I donÂt believe it was miss labeled, though anything is possible. Am I correct to assume that it is not likely to turn back into a regular Iceberg with the next blooming? (chuckles) I really wanted it to look like the one in First Class, but this is nice too. It has several suckers starting on it now. If I let them grow and plant them, is it likely I will get more with the Chimera pattern, or possibly the Iceberg one?

Have a wonderful day,

Raven

Comments (12)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Raven -

Iceberg chimera is not on a list of AV sports (AVSA.org/library.asp)

potentialy any bi or multicolor violet can sport into chimera, it happens quite rarely though.

If your Iceberg is now a chimera - the suckers would be only way to propagate it (besides bloomstalks) - so i would definitely try to grow them to bloom. But would they bloom solid or chimera or Iceberg like - you can never know until they actually open.

My Congratulations.

Irina

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Irina,
    I will let the little suckers grow a bit more, and then try and remove and plant them on their own.
    What fun these plants are. ItÂs funny, as I watched the first buds start to develop I kept thinking, there is something wrong here.. they look like they are all going to have just a white stripe down the middle This isn't going to look like the pretty Iceberg plant I wanted at all Then it started to dawn on me what it might be. I had never had a chimera before. Always more to learn about with these wonderful plants. Now I am hoping the white stripe stays. (chuckles)
    Have a wonderful day,
    Raven

• itsdeb
    13 years ago

We need a picture!

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

IÂm working on that. (Grins) Another learning possess. These new digital cameras are neat! No more waiting a week to see if you got a shot in focus. Still, the one behind the camera must learn to use them. I would love to get a picture posted here so those of you who have more experience can tell me if I really am seeing what I think I am. IÂve never even seen a chimera in person. I think I have a decent enough shot now, but will need to wait till my husband can help me get it posted. The instructions for posting pictures make my head spin. IÂm sure it is much easier then it seems to me at the moment.
    Dose anyone happen to know what the definition of a chimera is? I know in general that either white or another color runs down the middle of the petal rather then around the edge but is there more to it then that?
    Have a wonderful day!
    Raven

• contrarymarypat
    13 years ago

sounds exciting. Can't wait to see the pic!

Mary

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok..lets see if I am doing this right...
    {{gwi:368129}}

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It worked! (chuckles) It's the small things in life..
    This blossom is not fully opened, but is the best shot I have been able to take so far. I need much more practice. I think it gives the idea of the pattern though. I will keep trying to get a more focused shot. Is it a Chimera?
    Raven

• Christine
    13 years ago

Raven, that's a beautiful sport and it sure looks like a chimera. Here's the chimera definition from Optimara's Violet Glossary at http://www.optimara.com/optimaraglossary/c-chl.html:

"Chimera: Spontaneous mutation which creates a distinctive bloom pattern called pinwheel. This bloom characteristic is genetically unstable, though it can sometimes be reproduced from peduncle cuttings. Leaf cuttings will not reproduce a chimera."

The definition doesn't mention it but chimeras can also be reproduced by suckers. There are some plants that look like chimeras but aren't. Set some leaves and see if the blooms on the resulting plants look just like the original plant. If so, it's not a chimera. That wouldn't be bad though - it would be much easier to propagate beautiful babies. If it is a chimera (the leaves produce mostly purple or white offspring yet flower stalks and suckers produce mother plant look-alikes), you could eventually register it and it could take its place on the AV sports list Irina mentioned!

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Donna, that was very helpful. I did not know a plant could look like a chimera and not be one genetically. I will try my hand again at taking some more pictures tomorrow and then start the process of taking parts for propagation. Such a shame I must destroy the flowers to get the stalk, but it will be fun to try my hand at getting plantlets from a flower stalk. I have read everything I can find about how to do that, but would love any tips that any of you here have to offer. I will be learning so much about how to prove out such things, either way, what fun! I love these plants!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Raven

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

that is a gorgeous flower, lucky you!

• contrarymarypat
    13 years ago

It is beautiful!!! Congratulations. It's so nice when disappointment turns to delight.
    Mary

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Both Iceberg and Arctic Frost are quite changeable for me. I hope yours is a chimera but mine is very showy right now too. Both plants tend to "birthmark" and the more they do that, the more blue they get.

If they show too much birthmarking, I start over with an unmarked leaf. I tend to grow multiples of both of these because of these factors. I have a normal Arctic Frost right now and I think it's the first time. It's kind of dull, lol. I guess I got used to the surprises.

(Birthmarking is when the leaves show darker patches. This happens with leaves with red reverses.)

Diana in PA

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting