Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet Showcase Potting Mix

Posted by russell_d_2010 Iowa (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 8:24

Morning,

Just want to know if anyone here, has used The Violet Showcase potting mix? The one they make and sell. I know Irina has. Irina, would like to hear from you!
If anyone else has, I'd liked to hear from you too ! I will be using it in Oyama Pots.
I grow mostly Sinningia speciosa ( Florist Gloxinia ). I am tired of trying to make my own mix...... can't get it right. I will be trying to grow Christmas Cactus in the pots also. Any help ? Hope everyone had a good 4th!!

Take care.......... russ in iowa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet Showcase Potting Mix

Hello, Russ:

I use the Oyama pots. AVplanters.com sells the planters and a mix especially for them. I have bought it when I couldn't get Metro Mix but added another helping of *coarse* perlite.

If you have a Farmer's Co-Op, you can buy Metro Mix 360 (but without coir) and mix coarse perlite 2:1 and it works well.

I'm not sure how your Schlumbergera will do in those pots since they are succulents and like to dry out. I guess if you didn't overwater they should be okay. I grow mine in 2:1 coarse perlite and Miracle Gro Cactus Mix. I am proud to say I have several Schlumbergera buckleyii cuttings rooting that were donated by a couple of fellow Garden Webbers. :-)

Linda

Linda

o

Hello guys =

I am back from the Seattle - what a wonderful gessie convention it was!

Anyway - VS mix - good all around mix to start with. For Oyama pots I would add 25% of medium perlite, and a layer of pure perlite on the bottom.

For Sinningias I add may be 10% of extra coarse perlite, 10 of milled NZZ mos and a pinch of dolomite lime.

I am experimenting now with Promix Bx and HP, see how it works.

irina

o

Thanks !!........ Linda and Irina for all your help!

Take care......

russ in Iowa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here