Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buckeye Violets

Posted by lovemyviolets (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 9:00

Someone recently posted and asked about Buckeye Violets. The following is my experience with them.......

On July 5th I met with Pat Hancock (Buckeye Violets) in Tennessee to pick up some violets from her. I had asked that she make it worth my trip and bring me $100 worth. There was one plant in particular, a chimera, (Emerald City) that she was supposed to bring but was not able to find before she left for Tennessee. She told me she would continue to look for it and ship it to me when she found it. I received it plus Buckeye Lazy Daze in the mail yesterday. When I met with her on the 5th, I got a box of 23 (I think) plants (some of which are leaves that have multiple babies that are still too small to be separated and potted up which I knew would be the case prior to going to meet her) and at least 8-12 leaves. I am so excited with all of my new plants! They all appear to be very healthy and in great shape. However, as with all new stuff, I have bagged/isolated them just as precaution. Now the bags have all fogged up and it's killing me not being able to look at them everyday!

I am thrilled beyond belief with my AV "shopping" experience with Pat and highly recommend that anyone looking for a Buckeye violet go straight to the source.

Word of warning to anyone out there looking on e-bay for AVs.....Pat was recently told by several people that Buckeye Icebreaker sold on e-bay for $129. Pat sells this plant for $5.

I guess the point is my experience with Buckeye Violets was wonderful and.......if you're looking for a particular AV, shop around before paying an outrageous price. Sometimes those that are advertised as "vintage", "rare", etc. might not be vintage or rare at all.......

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buckeye Violets

EbaY can be a really great place to buy plants--but one should ALWAYS check to see if the plant is available for a cheaper price elsewhere before bidding, that's for sure!

o

I'll third that you should always look around before using eBay. I've seen things there that were much costlier than I could find them elsewhere.

Per the AVs, I am sure several of the eBay vendors are wonderful; heck, some of them are the same stores we buy from. But, having a relationship with someone like Pat is a different experience. You don't often get that experience with eBay.

o

Hi Carol,
With all the plants and leaves that you received I hope that Buckeye Cranberry Sparkler was included in the package. It's one of my favorites.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: My plant

o

Fred,
Is that a 'girl' bloom? LOL

Dora

o

Hi Dora,
There is no such thing as a girl bloom. There are girl leaves however and this is not one of them. Girl leaves are generally rounded and scalloped with a small white area at the base of the leaf where it joins the petiole.
Fred in NJ

o

Fred, that is just so pretty. This plant was already on my wish list, but seeing yours reinforced it. I just hope mine looks that good.

o

Fred,
I was being a bit sarcastic there...wasn't it you a few months back that said you didn't like certain plants because the blooms were too "girly"?

that's what I was referring to :)
Dora

o

No Dora I don't think it was me that said that, although there are many plants with girl leaves that I will not grow simply because they are too unruly and don't behave well.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here