Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntbarbie

AuntBarbie
10 years ago

Ooooh! This forum is a complete tutorial in AVs...thank you so much.

Several months ago I received an African Violet as a gift. My first thought was "Oh No! I've killed every one I've ever owned!"...this despite the fact that my thumb is quite green. It lived and rebloomed, prompting me to find out what I'd done right this time. One helpful factor, I'm sure, is that I now live in Florida rather than the Mojave Desert.

Let's see...previously, I'd been drowning them, given them too much sun rather than bright light, fussed over them way too much, kept them in pots too large and never fed them...perfect formula, it seems, for a speedy death!

Its in a 4" pot and is roughly 12" wide by maybe 8". There are three definite crowns and possibly a fourth small one tucked in among the jungle of leaves. It seems quite happy, quite healthy and is in almost perpetual bloom.

On the downside, its outside on my patio by necessity, though til now I didn't realize that was a problem. I have no bright window in my little apartment except during the winter when it is full, direct sun all day long so I'll just have to battle the critters as I can.

I've read here that Neem is effective. If I find I must use it, how diluted should it be? What signs would be evident for an infestation of whatever?

Again, thanks for so many knowledgeable voices chiming in to help us naifs find the right path.

Comments (3)