Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips of the day

Posted by bspofford Maine (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 9:22

Everyone has at least one clever idea we use in growing our violets. It may be a tool we have 'repurposed', an easier/faster/cheaper/more effective way, etc. Let's share them. Even if mentioned in a previous post, please join in.

I use a child's medicine dropper (free from pharmacy) to water small plantlets and leaves.

Barbara

You're next......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips of the day

My most improtant tip is that all new plants and leaves should be isolated for a mininmum of 1 month before introducing them into your collection. I generally isolate for 2 months.
Fred in NJ
PS I use a bulb syringe to water my minis and semis. They are availanle at drug stores in the baby section.

o

Using semi-hydroponics has put me back into AV growing.
I now have 60 and am still amazed that I can grow them.
They are so beautiful.

o

For me, when starting leaves, enclosing them in a clear plastic container almost always guarantees babies.

Xuan

o

I prepare my perlite way before I ever use it.

I don my mask first and always. Never fool with perlite without a mask.

I line a collander with cheese cloth and dump in some perlite. I rinse with the garden hose (never do this inside), then I spread it in shallow pans to dry in the sun.

This way, I get rid of most of those fine particles and my perlite is ready to use in my Metro Mix.

I buy my coarse perlite at the county Co-Op in a four cubic foot bags so I rinse enough perlite to fill a large Rubbermaid container.

Linda

o

A small pickle fork is great for removing soil from the roots of smaller plants. A long handled baby spoon without the plastic coating is good for adding potting mix a bit at a time.

Barbara

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 14:31

I use a (new) squeeze bottle for hair dye to water little plants; it has a nice small tip that can reach under the leaves.

One of my most useful tools is my bonsai tweezers; they're 8" long with bent tips that can reach into the largest or smallest plant, and actually does a pretty good job of combing soil from roots.

Korina

'We did it, we bashed them, wee Potty's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!' ~Peeves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here