Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bugs in AV soil

Posted by geniemalone 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 9:52

I was watering my AVs today and noticed teeny white bugs crawling on top of the soil. Any idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bugs in AV soil

Hi,

Are they kind of silvery and fast? If so, then they are probably springtails. They are really pretty harmless. I have them in several of my plants and they don't do any harm. They aren't the most pleasing things to have. After all, who wants to have bugs crawling around. But they are not worth the cost and effort of getting rid of in my opinion.

Larry

o

Hi,
I agree with Larry, however if they really bother you to a point of distraction you might try working some Marathon into the soil. Another name for Marathon (expensive) is Imacloprid (generic).
Fred in NJ

o

Hey Genie,

If Larry and Fred's guess is right and they are spring tails, and they bother you, they would me, and I'd want to get rid of them if I could.

Spring tails like wet areas, so you might try letting your soil go dry for awhile, but not to the point where your violets croak, and then the spring tails disappear. I don't know where they go, but that's what Rob says in Plant Care FAQ under wick-watering - 'why to let reservoirs go dry' at the Violet Barn, top of Page 4.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Barn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here