Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about that pic!?!?!? and more....

Posted by countrykitty (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 9:55

Hi all,

OK, I'm new to AVs and I have questions, but the one that's driving me NUTS is about the picture here on the forums main page! Is it a couple dozen plants in a single tub? Is it multicrowned beyond belief? An import from some region of Russia (downwind of Chernobyl)? Or...(gasp)... steroids (and if so where do I get some)?!?!

While minis are awful cool (a whole collection on the shelf of a bakers rack by the window does have its appeals), I'm actually intrigued by the idea of an extra large plant. Is removing suckers really necessary or only done for showing aesthetics? I'm only growing for home enjoyment; would it actually be detrimental to the plant to allow it to grow extra crowns and then thin by removing the central crown?

Thanks for any input,

Kitty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about that pic!?!?!? and more....

Kitty,

I believe the picture on the front page is one of Rob's Trailers. It is a semi miniature trailer, I believe and can get very large. This one may be 2 years or more.

It is best to remove suckers unless you have a trailer because they take energy away from the main plant and they may cause the main plant's symmetry to be out of place. Symmetry has to do with making the leaves in a complete round circle or wheel-shaped. Remove suckers and plant them--a very quick way to reproduce your plant.

Nancy

o

If you go to Rob's website and look at the 'trailers' page, you will see what may be the same picture with the man cropped out.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: the violet barn

o

Thanks, y'all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here