Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Convex leaves?

Posted by janartmuse (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 11:28

Hi, I have a violet I started from a leaf cutting which has been trying to bloom for a couple months now. I feel like the flowers never stretch out and only half open. The leaves are also convex (like inverted spoons). I have it away from the other plants, for fear it is diseased. Would someone please advise me as to what to do? It would be nice if I could save it, as the half flowers look like they'd be gorgeous if they'd just open fully. Actually, now that I've gone to take a photo, I see the leaves aren't as deformed as they have been in the past, but still, the buds fail. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Convex leaves?

Jan,

Many violet varieties have convex leaves.They are, in fact, called 'spooned' leaves and their descriptions will read as such. Also, some varieties have flowers that never fully open. Usually this occurs on plants that are very double. Sometimes, as the violet matures, they will open more fully but some never do.

Do you know the variety of your violet?

Linda

o

Both can be symptoms of low humidity.

o

No, I fear I don't know the variety. It's a leaf I got from someone who also didn't know. Thanks, J

o

Thanks, Low humidity could be the trouble where it is located. I will come up with a way to make it more humid. Certainly worth a try! Thanks!

o

Many of my plants grow like that. I live in a low humidity,
bright light environment. It doesn't bother me. Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here