Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyxx_gw

Pot questions

nyxx
11 years ago

I am looking for pots for minis. I believe the suggested sizes are 2 1/4 to 2 1/2? I am finding it almost impossible to find this size pot.

So my questions are, which is your preferred mini pot size? And where do you find is the best place to get them?

Comments (12)

• taxonomist3
    11 years ago

I've ordered from a variety of places, but haven't ordered any in the last few years. I think I recall Cap Cod Violetry having the widest selection. They do not have a website that I can find, but here is their contact info:

Phone: (508) 993-2386
    Email Address: violets@cape.com

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

I bought some from Bluebird Greenhouse, over the 'net. Of course this meant I saw and then had to order two plants (but they sent three), so use judgment. I chose Bluebird because I could order pots and flowers to ship together, while other places wouldn't ship them together and I wouldn't have been able to slip the two plants into the order. :D

Also, try the individual fruit cups or applesauce cups (like the Mott's Minis, though I buy generic). I have my sucker in one and plan to use them for small pots. They're the perfect size and wider than tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebird Greenhouse

• maguiretrots
    11 years ago

I like my Oyama pots. I have my minis in 1.5" and the semis in 2.5". They are doing really well.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I use 3" plastic bathroom cups.

• nyxx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Which do you consider more important with the size. The diameter of the top or the over amount of room for soil and roots? Hmmmm not sure that makes sense to anyone but me. Lets say you have a 2.5 in pot and it holds a little bit more then 2 ounces. (I measured using water just to see) Then you have a container that is bigger around, 3 inches, and shorter but holds the same amount, 2 ounces. Do you think it makes any kind of difference in the long run to the plants growth?

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

Ha, I started typing out a response and realized that I have no real idea except perhaps aesthetics :D. All I know is that the trailing AVs are typically grown in pots that are wider and more shallow than the azalea pots that regular AVs are grown in.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

AVs are shallow rooted. The pot needs to 1/3 the diameter of the leaf spread. The depth can be about the same. Or shorter in some cases.

• nyxx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tommy do you know why that is? Just trying to understand the reasons behind the rule. Use to get me in trouble with my parents and teachers lol.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I am NOT an AV expert first of all so corrections are always welcomed. They have a small root zone and do not need a lot of soil and too much soil can lead to root rot. That goes for ANY plant by the way.

• nyxx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wouldn't it be the same amount of room just in different directions if both areas measure slightly more then 2 ounces? In the 2.5 pot the roots have room to grow down and in the shallow 3 inch they have the same room but grow out instead. At least that is how it seems to me. I was wondering if there isn't some other reason for the diameter.

• GCTBA
    11 years ago

I'm not sure the shallow root system applies to all a/vs.
    I have a Genuine Jewel which I just repotted and it had a massive root system.
    And interestingly enough there was one in our annual show last year in what most of us would describe as a totally oversized pot.

• thominindy
    11 years ago

AV roots like to be contained. After repotting the first thing they seem to do is shoot roots out to find the limits of the pot. After you have repotted AV's for awhile you will see.

Thom

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths