Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot questions

Posted by nyxx z7 Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 12:43

I am looking for pots for minis. I believe the suggested sizes are 2 1/4 to 2 1/2? I am finding it almost impossible to find this size pot.

So my questions are, which is your preferred mini pot size? And where do you find is the best place to get them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot questions

I've ordered from a variety of places, but haven't ordered any in the last few years. I think I recall Cap Cod Violetry having the widest selection. They do not have a website that I can find, but here is their contact info:

Phone: (508) 993-2386
Email Address: violets@cape.com

o

I bought some from Bluebird Greenhouse, over the 'net. Of course this meant I saw and then had to order two plants (but they sent three), so use judgment. I chose Bluebird because I could order pots and flowers to ship together, while other places wouldn't ship them together and I wouldn't have been able to slip the two plants into the order. :D

Also, try the individual fruit cups or applesauce cups (like the Mott's Minis, though I buy generic). I have my sucker in one and plan to use them for small pots. They're the perfect size and wider than tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebird Greenhouse

o

I like my Oyama pots. I have my minis in 1.5" and the semis in 2.5". They are doing really well.

o

I use 3" plastic bathroom cups.

o

• Posted by nyxx z7 Virginia (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 13:39

Which do you consider more important with the size. The diameter of the top or the over amount of room for soil and roots? Hmmmm not sure that makes sense to anyone but me. Lets say you have a 2.5 in pot and it holds a little bit more then 2 ounces. (I measured using water just to see) Then you have a container that is bigger around, 3 inches, and shorter but holds the same amount, 2 ounces. Do you think it makes any kind of difference in the long run to the plants growth?

o

Ha, I started typing out a response and realized that I have no real idea except perhaps aesthetics :D. All I know is that the trailing AVs are typically grown in pots that are wider and more shallow than the azalea pots that regular AVs are grown in.

o

AVs are shallow rooted. The pot needs to 1/3 the diameter of the leaf spread. The depth can be about the same. Or shorter in some cases.

o

Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 14:55

Tommy do you know why that is? Just trying to understand the reasons behind the rule. Use to get me in trouble with my parents and teachers lol.

o

I am NOT an AV expert first of all so corrections are always welcomed. They have a small root zone and do not need a lot of soil and too much soil can lead to root rot. That goes for ANY plant by the way.

o

Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 16:48

Wouldn't it be the same amount of room just in different directions if both areas measure slightly more then 2 ounces? In the 2.5 pot the roots have room to grow down and in the shallow 3 inch they have the same room but grow out instead. At least that is how it seems to me. I was wondering if there isn't some other reason for the diameter.

o

I'm not sure the shallow root system applies to all a/vs.
I have a Genuine Jewel which I just repotted and it had a massive root system.
And interestingly enough there was one in our annual show last year in what most of us would describe as a totally oversized pot.

o

AV roots like to be contained. After repotting the first thing they seem to do is shoot roots out to find the limits of the pot. After you have repotted AV's for awhile you will see.

Thom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here