Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biologyteacher60

What is happening to my Honey Blue Angel?

biologyteacher60
13 years ago

What is happening to my little Honey Blue Angel? It was stressed for a while after I bought new lights...the lights were too strong so I removed one bulb from the fixture. This is the only plant that is behaving this way...the rest are fine. The normal leaf color is a solid dark green, but the new growth in the center appears lighter and variegated. What has happened to the center?

{{gwi:368503}}

{{gwi:368504}}

Comments (9)

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Hi,
    It looks to me like the center was burned out or removed and now the plant is putting out new growth. Check to see if there is more than one crown. If so, remove them and pot them up.
    Fred in NJ

• Kinder Devonshire
    13 years ago

I am not sure about the variegated leaves, but it does look like you might have suckers coming up, which does happen when the plant gets stressed.

• biologyteacher60
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies...Fred, I looked at the plant and I do have multiple crowns now. They are so tight it's hard to find each individual crown. I think I'll let them grow a little before trying to divide them. I'm wondering if they will remain variegated or if they will return to their normal color...and is my original plant ruined???

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

It'll take some time but it will recover.

I agree wtih letting them get a bit bigger before separating.

Everything will be fine once you get them all straightened out :)

Dora

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

Description for Honey Blue Angel is Girl foliage. I would take all the leaves of the original plant and plant them. Then I would allow the plant to grow, maybe with window light, if the light is still too strong.

Then wait and see what happens.

It is very unusual but this plant seems to have mutated by foliage. Maybe the flower will be similar or maybe different.

Nancy

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Are you sure the plant is Honey Blue Angel. I checked the description in FC2 after reading Nancys post. I can see that the leaves on your plant are not girl leaves and I wonder if your plant was named incorrectly. Has the plant bloomed yet?
    Fred in NJ

• biologyteacher60
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with you Nancy...I seemed to have caused damage to the DNA resulting in a mutation of sorts. I am wondering if it will bloom true now. I guess time will tell.

Fred...Yes, I am sure it's a Honey Blue Angel. It had blooms on it when I got it. It's original leaves are girl leaves. If you go to the AVSA website and look at the photographs they are identical to my original leaves. Thanks for the replies and I will keep you posted on what happens with this plant.

Shelly

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I found a good pic of he Honey Blue Anel on a David Harris site - and looks like the leaves are barely girl.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bspofford
    13 years ago

Many people think that girl leaves have ruffled edges, and that ruffling is what makes it a girl leaf. The defining trait of a girl leaf is a white or yellowish spot at the bottom of the leaf near the stem. The photo in the above post shows this spot very clearly. The photo of the original post does not.

It is true that most girl leaves are ruffled, but again, the ruffling is not the defining trait of a girl leaf, it's the spot. There are some girl leaves that are not ruffled.

The new leaves in the photo appear to be 'variegated'.

Barbara