Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper repotting?

Posted by tazdevyl1 z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 13:27

I have a few (4) AVs, which I wanted to repot, since 2 seems to have babies in there. One seems to think he is a tree, or at least that's my interpretation of it.

My question is what's the proper way of repotting, so I don't kill them. Do I use the same pots (which I don't think they've ever been out of. Do they like being rootbound, or should I try to find something to give them a little wiggle room?

From what Ive noticed, they seem to bloom once a year (if that) for me.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Already bought AV mix.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper repotting?

Taz - welcome -

please read FAQs at this forum. Read info on Rachelsreflections.org - it covers ALL the basics. Pay special attention - on the long neck care (that's your tree thingie).
You are right, yes, they should be slightly rootbound, if you have 4" pots the only thing you need to do - is wash and scrub them thouroughly after you pop the rootballs out - but the correct recommendation - size of the pot = 1/3 of the leaf span. The AV soil you can buy in a store will work if you add about 1/3-1/4 perlite to it. Otherwise it is too heavy on a peat side and the roots do not breath properly.

Good Luck, do your homework - means read these materials - you will enjoy doing it - really good stuff, explanations and pics - and come back with the questions.

Irina

o

Thank you! One question: Is it absolutely necessary to do the root hormone spray?

o

African violets root pretty readily without the use of hormone powders or sprays. However, I do find they root faster if given extra humidity.

o

Thank you again. Humidity not an issue. Plenty of baggies around. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here