Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snasxs

Mini AV blooming beautifully

snasxs
16 years ago

The location has too much afternoon sun. But I guess it does not matter much. It blooms so vigorously Â

{{gwi:368598}}

{{gwi:368600}}

Comments (8)

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi,
    It certainly has a beautiful head of bloom on it. I hope you don't mind but I have a few suggestions. You pot is too large. A mini or semi should not go into a pot larger than 2 1/2 inches. It would also look better if the leaves which are brown edged were removed. It also looks like the plant is too deep in the pot. I would suggest you remove the spent leaves and repot it into a clean pot.
    BTW the girl leaves are very well behaved. Does the plant have a name?
    Fred in NJ

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fred,

The mini AV has always been over potted. I water carefully. It survives alright. I am delighted that an expert likes my mini-violet. I am not sure what the "girl leaves" that you are talking about. I donÂt know its cultivar name either.

The plant did evolve over the past 5 years. It grows larger; and it blooms more and more vigorously. The flowers are of fine rose-shape.

Unfortunately, I gave it away two weeks ago to Wendy - wife of my colleague. She had breast cancer. The pictures were taken for my sweet memory.

If you really think there is potential to this plant, I can ask her to give it to you for free.

C

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi again,
    I guess its the judge in me that makes all these comments about what I see. When plants are judged at an AV show, it is not only the bloom that is looked at. Judges look at all aspects of the plant including the pot size. Symmetry is another area that is checked as well as plant culture. You can tell a girl leaf from the white area at the place where the leaf meets the stem. Girl leaf plants are notorious for their curled and gnarled foliage. As for sending me the plant, I need another violet like a hole in the head. I already have approximately 150. I think it was very nice of you to give your plant to Wendy. I am sure it will cheer her up every time she looks at it.
    Keep up the good work and if you have any questions about growing please feel free to email me and I will try to help.
    Fred in NJ

• bspofford
    16 years ago

snasxs,

You may want to review an earlier posting titled'some of my bloomers' that will be on this page or the one before it, depending on how many new posts come in. Compare the plants in the first photos to the same plants after grooming. I wish there were photos after she had put them into smaller pots.

As Fred so kindly pointed out, the foliage is just as important as the blossom to evaluate a specific plant. And being potted in an approppriate sized pot is also important. To some people it may not matter, but most AV growers strive for a nice symmetrical rosette of healthy foliage.

That was very kind of you to gift your plant.

Barbara

• trace00969
    16 years ago

Barbara, it was me who posted "some of my bloomers"......I will go back to that post an post a pic of the plants now potted down.....so you can see them.

Tracy

• trace00969
    16 years ago

Here is the post with the pics.....

Someone had asked to see pics after I potted the Av's down, so here they are.

This one was in a five inch ceramic pot.....it is now in a two inch square pot.

{{gwi:366442}}
    Shot with C160,D395 at 2007-07-15

This one too, was in a five inch ceramic pot, it went down to a 4 inch azalea pot, the not so deep ones.

{{gwi:366443}}

This is my mini....I did not repot it, although it is only in a tiny one inch pot.

{{gwi:366444}}

This was in a five inch ceramic as well, it went down to a 4 inch azalea pot too.

{{gwi:366445}}

I dont remember the blooms on this one, but it went from a four inch pot, to a small 2 1/2 inch square pot.

{{gwi:366446}}

This one went from a four inch to a three inch.

{{gwi:366447}}

Tracy

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Tracy,

Thanks for posting the new photos!

Barbara

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all.