Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf propagation to flowers

Posted by tgplp 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 14:41

I am ordering some leaves from Lyndon Lyon greenhouses, because I can't resist their wonderful selection of beautiful african violets. :) :) :) I am planning on ordering the variety Christmas Dream, and I was wondering if it would be blooming by Christmas? I doubt it, but I thought I would ask. I've only propagated a few violet leaves, so I'm still new to this.

On an unrelated note, are the plants from Lyndon Lyon healthy? Do they come budded?

Thank you all!
Taryn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf propagation to flowers

I was told by tommyr on my thread that leaves can take anywhere from 7-9 months to bloom. That's after the babies have been "born."

I've seen posts where it's taken months for the babies to appear and my first leaf has been going for well over a month. (though I didn't label so I have no idea how long, exactly)

o

Thanks! I guess it must depend on the variety and quality (freshness?) of the cut leaf. I am pretty surprised with how fast a leaf I clipped off of one of my random storebought AVs grew babies and how fast the babies grew! I stuck the leaf in a jar of water around christmas last year, and now I have very good sized baby plants! There are teensy tiny buds on one of them, too. Exciting stuff. :)

Taryn

o

I ordered a few leaves about 2.5 months ago from Lyndon Lyon. The leaves come in excellent condition (size and maturity), in labeled baggies with 2 leaves per baggie. The picture is what the plants look like now. If you order from LL now, it is possible to have a few blooms if you regulate pot size by keeping them on the small-ish pot size. Also the 7-8 months is about right for a standard/large AV. Mini's and semi-minis may reach maturity faster. Also if you have variegated leaves, you can expect them to reach maturity slower than leaves that are not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here